What is the Process for Determining Hydrostatic Forces in a Swimming Pool?

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of hydrostatic forces on each wall and the distance of the line of action of this force from the ground for a 4 m long, 4 m wide, and 1.5 m high aboveground swimming pool filled with water. The equations used for this calculation include Hc = yc sin (theta), Yf = 1xxc/yc*A, and FR = ϱghc * A. The person asking the question is struggling with finding the centroid and is seeking assistance to better understand the concept. The final answer is 44.1 kN, but the person is unsure of how to reach this solution.
MisterOL

Homework Statement

Concider a 4 m long, 4 m wide and 1.5 m high aboveground swimming pool that is filled with water to the rim (completely). Determinate hydrostatic forces on each wall and distance of the line of actions of this force from the ground

Homework Equations

Hc = yc sin (theta)
Yf = 1xxc/yc*A
FR = ϱghc * A

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry if I sound a bit "noob", this is all new to me but what I do not understand here is how to determinate Yc, areal center or centroid in english. Our teacher states that we should look at the centroid formulas for a givven shape but I don't find those online.

The answer is 44.1 kN and if someone could toutor me trough this easy example I might solve some more difficult ones on my own by understanding it properly... The books exapmle only shows a process from hc to Yc sin thetta and not how YC is determinated...

If hc = yc then yc is 1.5 then
FR = ϱghc * A gives 1000 * 9.81 * 1.5 * 16 which is 235,440 kN and not right :(
Assuming Po doesn't play a role here...

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone familiar with this ?

:( thanks for help

What is simple fluid mechanics?

Simple fluid mechanics is the study of fluids (liquids and gases) at rest or in motion. It involves understanding the underlying principles and equations that govern the behavior of fluids.

What are the fundamental principles of simple fluid mechanics?

The fundamental principles of simple fluid mechanics are conservation of mass, conservation of momentum, and conservation of energy. These principles describe how fluids behave and interact with their surroundings.

What are some real-life applications of simple fluid mechanics?

Simple fluid mechanics has many practical applications, such as designing efficient pipelines, optimizing aerodynamics for vehicles and aircraft, and understanding weather patterns. It is also used in the development of medical devices, such as ventilators and blood flow monitors.

How is simple fluid mechanics different from complex fluid mechanics?

Simple fluid mechanics deals with idealized situations where fluids are considered to be incompressible, non-viscous, and at a constant temperature. Complex fluid mechanics, on the other hand, takes into account factors such as viscosity, compressibility, and temperature variations.

What are some common equations used in simple fluid mechanics?

Some common equations used in simple fluid mechanics include Bernoulli's equation, the continuity equation, and the Navier-Stokes equations. These equations are used to analyze and solve problems related to fluid flow and pressure.

Back