Dog walking on a raft on water then suddenly halting

  • Thread starter Thread starter totallyclone
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
totallyclone
Messages
54
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A dog of mass 10.0kg is standing on a raft so that he is 20.0m from shore. He walks 8.00m along the raft towards shore and then halts. The raft has a mass of 40.0kg, and we can assume there is no friction between the raft and the water. How far is the dog from shore when he stops?


Homework Equations


EK=1/2 mv2


The Attempt at a Solution


This is a really tricky question and I'm not quite sure how to proceed. I know that when the dog halts, the raft moves forward towards the shore?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
phinds said:
What's tricky about it? What external force would cause the raft to have a net movement?

I find this question tricky because maybe I'm overthinking it...

I think the external force would be what the dog applies. Then suddenly stopping, transfers the energy to the raft causing it to more forward towards the shore?
 
totallyclone said:
I find this question tricky because maybe I'm overthinking it...

I think the external force would be what the dog applies. Then suddenly stopping, transfers the energy to the raft causing it to more forward towards the shore?

How is the dog external? What is the dog acting on that is external to the raft?