How far from the end of the pier are you?

• Thread starter dch1runs
  • Start date
In summary: It seems like you are saying that the CM is located at the origin, and then finding the distance from the origin to each of the particles.
dch1runs
1. You are standing at the very rear of a 6.0m long, 120kg raft that is at rest in a lake with its prow only .5m from the end of the pier. Your mass is 60kg. Neglect friction between the raft and the water. A) How far from the end of the pier is the center of mass of the you-raft system? B) You walk to the front of the raft and then stop. How far from the end of the pier is the center of mass now? C) When you are at the front of the raft, how far from the end of the pier are you?

2. xcm= (m2*d)/(m2+m1)
where m1 and m2 are mass one and mass two, xcm is center of mass, and d is the difference in position of the particles.

3.A) By defining the pier as the origin and then I find the following equation. xcm= 60kg(5.5m)/180kg= 1.833m from the pier B) 60kg(0)/180kg = 0 C) .5m
I thought I had A) and C) right, but B) makes me second guess myself. What did I miss here?

Physics news on Phys.org
dch1runs said:
2. xcm= (m2*d)/(m2+m1)
where m1 and m2 are mass one and mass two, xcm is center of mass, and d is the difference in position of the particles.

The formula for xcm is wrong. You need to determine xcm with respect to the end of the pier.

ehild

Should it be xcm= (m2*d)/(m2+m1) + .5?

dch1runs said:

2. xcm= (m2*d)/(m2+m1)

This is the distance of the CM from the first particle if there are two particles d distance apart.

What are the "particles" in this case, and what are their positions?

ehild

It seems like you have made a mistake in your calculation for part B. The correct calculation would be:
xcm = (m2*d)/(m1+m2) = (120kg*5.5m)/(60kg+120kg) = 4.125m from the pier.
This is because when you move to the front of the raft, the distance (d) between your position and the center of mass (which is now at the rear of the raft) is 5.5m.
Therefore, the center of mass is now 4.125m from the end of the pier.
I hope this helps clarify the situation.

1. How do you measure the distance from the end of the pier?

The distance from the end of the pier is typically measured using a measuring tape or a distance-measuring tool, such as a laser rangefinder.

2. Why is it important to know how far from the end of the pier you are?

Knowing the distance from the end of the pier is important for safety reasons, as well as for navigation and planning purposes. It can also be used for research purposes, such as studying the effects of wave action on the pier.

3. Does the distance from the end of the pier change over time?

The distance from the end of the pier can change over time due to natural processes, such as erosion or sediment deposition. It can also change due to man-made factors, such as maintenance or construction work on the pier.

4. How accurate are measurements of the distance from the end of the pier?

The accuracy of the measurements will depend on the precision of the measuring tool used and the conditions during the measurement, such as weather and visibility. Generally, measurements can be accurate to within a few inches.

5. Can you calculate the distance from the end of the pier using GPS?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the distance from the end of the pier using GPS (Global Positioning System) technology. However, the accuracy may vary depending on the quality of the GPS signal and other factors.