1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Doind double majors-physics n maths

1. Aug 14, 2006 #1
    Doing double majors--physics n maths

Hello there....

I'm finishing my final year in high sch by october(i'm from the southern hemisphere) and still confused about my future.

I love maths and also love physics.
    I was just wondering whether i can do a double major!?
    how long will it take?
    where can i do it?

oh yea, one more thing, can i take up actuarial science if i do both ?!
    o:)
    thank u,
    :redface:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2006 #2
    Hi bk,

Im going to be in college in a month and plan to dual major in math and physics. Yes, you can dual major. I'm guessing it's possible to attain within 4-5 years if you work hard enough. I haven't heard of a college where you can't do a dual major. Then again, I'm not even in college yet — so I am not really helpful as many other members.

4. Aug 14, 2006 #3
    You can do double major in most US school.
    It can be finished within normal 5 years depends how much your physics depends on Maths. (In my school, the physics department is more experiment.)
    As far as I know about actuarial science, you just need to take the technical exams to be one, no matter what major you are.

5. Aug 14, 2006 #4
    what is actuarial science?

6. Aug 14, 2006 #5
    At UCLA, you can double major in math and physics, and one of the specialties in math where you can concentrate is actuarial math. It has different class requriements than the pure math major. You might want to check it out.

7. Aug 14, 2006 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If there is enough overlap in course requirements, you can finish a double major in 4 years. It might help to take more than the suggested courses in any given semester... i.e. taken an overload.

8. Aug 14, 2006 #7
    Just out of curiousity, has anybody ever done a dual major in mech and aero engineering?

9. Aug 23, 2006 #8
    they are actually very similar, it wouldn't be that big of a strech.

10. Aug 23, 2006 #9
    Many of my professors say majoring in both mech and aero engineering is a bad idea simply BECAUSE they are so similar, and employers know that too.

11. Aug 23, 2006 #10
    When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it said, "Double Blind Majors."

:redface: ... :rofl:

12. Aug 23, 2006 #11
    It's still better than only one or the other...it can't hurt.

13. Aug 26, 2006 #12
    Do some research in different schools, many may off a combined major of Math and Physics. I am just beginning my Freshmen year at Loyola University of Chicago my major is Theoretical Physics and Applied Mathematics and it is a standard 4 year degree. So I advise you to do some good research into schools, find one you like but look for one that may offer a combined degree, and most of all TALK TO THE DEPARTMENTS. Let them know you are interested and ask what they think about dual majoring at their institutes.
    I wish you the best of luck

14. Sep 19, 2006 #13
    well, thankz a million to all of u!:wink:

anyway, i was planning to do it in the uk but since most of your replies were us based...its fine.

yup, i have done quite a bit of research on doing double degrees(math n physics) n like wat robphy said....they do overlap quite a lot.

o ya,CPL.Luke

acturial science is something to do a lot wit statistics n even wit a degree in maths u can persue tat profession. it is a highly paid job. The future is full of uncertainty. Some of the events that can happen are undesirable. "Risk" is the possibility that an undesirable event will occur. Actuaries are experts in:

* evaluating the likelihood of future events,
    * designing creative ways to reduce the likelihood of undesirable events,
    * decreasing the impact of undesirable events that do occur
    more like a scientific physicic than a physists ...lol

to know more on it check this site,

http://www.beanactuary.org

15. Sep 19, 2006 #14
    I have a good friend who just graduated from the University of Florida with that very dual major, I Dont think they are that different as someone suggested because I Think it only took him an extra semester.

16. Sep 20, 2006 #15
    So is it bad idea to do double majors in mechanical engineering and physics

17. Sep 20, 2006 #16

J77

At research level, Mech Eng and Aero are pretty much indistinguishable.

Physics and ME, I'm not so sure.

ime, they would involve different faculties which is never a good idea.

:smile:

18. Sep 20, 2006 #17
    Why is it not a good idea? IT can be a pain when it comes to planning out your dual degree curriculum when your majors fall under different departments of the university so that you need to be going back and forth between department chairs to determine what classes you need to take, but it can't be bad to expose yourself to different viewpoints and personalities.

19. Sep 21, 2006 #18
    oooo....

how a bout pure maths n physics

(is quantum phy a major by itself!?)

ty

Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  20. Sep 21, 2006 #19

J77

I don't know about your experience, but in mine it's hard enough getting all departments within, say, an engineering faculty synchronised.

A nightmare if you're different faculties.

21. Sep 21, 2006 #20
    I double majored in math and physics and met B.S. requirements for both degrees at UNC-Chapel Hill. While I was at it I also got a concentration in statistics that included a long term actuarial models class. It took 5 years and I had to take summer classes. In retrospect, I think doing research internships in the summer and scaling one of my degrees down to a minor or B.A. would have been MUCH better. It seems both employers and grad schools like to see hands on accomplishment outside of the classroom. I did a bit of research in fluid dynamics and had the opportunity to possibly publish and graduate with highest honors but couldn't because I had over committed. Moral: Don't always assume more is better. By the way, since graduating I have worked for a small actuarial firm and did not find the work to my liking, so I highly recommend doing an intership while in school to make sure it is a good fit. Signa is probably one of the best actuarial employers to work for. They have an executive spiral program that works you into top executive positions within the company in as little as ten years. I went to a hiring seminar by Signa and they said guys there made +250k a year. Check out there website. If you a serious about becoming an actuary look at schools with an operations research dept. UNC-CH has one but I don't know who else does.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?