Dolphins blow vortex rings, apparently because they enjoy doing it.

In summary, dolphins are fun and entertaining creatures, as shown by a memorable free diving experience with Spinner Dolphins in Hawaii. Despite an initial struggle to keep up with them due to being out of breath, the dolphins allowed for a close and special experience. This thread was started by a user with the username @Spinnor, coincidentally matching the dolphins' spinning behavior.
Spinnor
Gold Member
1599326967015.png

https://d2r55xnwy6nx47.cloudfront.net/uploads/2020/09/0903_TurbulenceBlobs_Dolphins-1920x1080.mp4

From, https://www.quantamagazine.org/an-unexpected-twist-lights-up-the-secrets-of-turbulence-20200903/

• Love
Likes DennisN, mcastillo356 and etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
They already tried smoke rings but it didn't work very well.

Likes Spinnor
Spinnor said:
Dolphins are fun. One of my most memorable free diving experiences was in Hawaii on the northwest shore of Maui with some Spinner Dolphins. They had followed a big tourist catamaran into a bay, entertaining the folks on the cat with their jumping and spinning behavior, and I kicked out toward them to see if I could get a closer look.

When the cat turned and headed out of the bay, the Spinners stayed and I got into the middle of them to see if they were friendly. Unfortunately I was a bit out of breath from kicking hard to get out to them, but I was still able to stay with them a ways down on surface dives, with them letting me be fairly close. It was so cool to be surface diving with them, spinning slowly down alongside them. Very cool and special memory. :smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinner_dolphin

BTW, funny coincidence that this thread was started by @Spinnor :wink:

Last edited:
Likes Klystron, Spinnor and BillTre

1. Why do dolphins blow vortex rings?

Dolphins blow vortex rings as a form of play and enjoyment. It is a behavior that does not serve any specific purpose for survival but rather serves as a way for dolphins to have fun and interact with their environment.

2. How do dolphins blow vortex rings?

Dolphins create vortex rings by quickly exhaling a stream of air through their blowhole, which then forms into a circular shape due to the water's resistance. They are able to control the size and speed of the vortex rings by adjusting the force of their exhale.

3. Do all dolphins blow vortex rings?

No, not all dolphins blow vortex rings. This behavior has only been observed in a few species, including bottlenose dolphins and humpback dolphins. It is believed that this behavior is more common in younger dolphins and may decrease as they age.

4. Is blowing vortex rings a form of communication for dolphins?

There is no evidence to suggest that blowing vortex rings is a form of communication for dolphins. It is more likely a playful behavior rather than a form of communication, as it has only been observed in non-threatening situations.

5. What other animals are known to blow vortex rings?

Aside from dolphins, there have been reports of other marine animals such as beluga whales and seals blowing vortex rings. Some birds, such as crows and parrots, have also been observed exhibiting similar behavior in captivity. However, this behavior is not as well-studied in these animals as it is in dolphins.