Why is the range 0 < f(x) < 4 instead of 0 ≤ f(x) ≤ 4?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mutineer123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Interesting Range
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
mutineer123
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
The question is from http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/International%20A%20And%20AS%20Level/9709%20-%20Mathematics/9709_w10_qp_13.pdf

question no. 7 (i). I think it should be more than easy for a functions fanatic( or someone who does math regularly for that matter) to get the right answer, but as one can clearly see I can't.
The answer says 0 < f(x) < 4. But I am getting 0 ≤ f(x) ≤ 4. Why are 0 and 4 not inclusive?
Because it clearly says in the question X CAN take up 0 and 6, for which the corresponding Y value should be 0 and 4 respectively.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
hi mutineer123! :wink:
mutineer123 said:
The answer says 0 < f(x) < 4. But I am getting 0 ≤ f(x) ≤ 4. Why are 0 and 4 not inclusive?
Because it clearly says in the question X CAN take up 0 and 6, for which the corresponding Y value should be 0 and 4 respectively.

your answer looks right to me :smile: