Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Don't bite my head off here right away, I'm only a high school

1. Sep 21, 2011 #1
    Don't bite my head off here right away, I'm only a high school student. I was thinking about the vacuum of space, and to me it just seems odd that there's nothing there. If there was really nothing there, would it really exist? Absolute zero does not exist, there's no space, time or anything else for that matter - it's unimaginable; yet at the same time, here, we have space and dimensions. I mean, something is creating the space that is there/here all around us. I know for one that I create space by occupying it, so if I create space, wouldn't the same material create space everywhere else? But, in a much more dispersed state that we can't detect? I mean, what else is out there, known to us that can create space - the only thing I can think of is matter!? Well what if we dissolve matter to such a point where it's undetectable by any instrument, yet there's enough of it to create space, wouldn't that occupy all the space in the universe?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2011 #2
    Re: space

space was created by the big bang and its not 'nothing'.

even 'empty' space has fields in it.

4. Sep 22, 2011 #3

Well that's exactly what I am talking about, what is occupying it? What is creating that space? I never asked how it was created, big bang or not.

5. Sep 22, 2011 #4

It is often a misconception that space is a vacuum or simply empty. Space is a nearly perfect vacuum, even better than the best ones made in labs on earth, but it is not devoid of everything. The fact is that space is filled with tiny particles called cosmic dust and elements like hydrogen and helium. This applies for interstellar space also and all the previously mention particles make up what is known as the interstellar medium.

Then there is radiation and energy fields as well

6. Sep 22, 2011 #5

okay, that's fine, that there's cosmic dust, but the distance between atoms is much greater than that of on earth, that distance between the two atoms is still occupied by something, because there's space between the two, if there was an absolute zero, that space would not exist, so what is occupying that space, rather what is creating that space? Radiation and energy fields - what are those?

7. Sep 22, 2011 #6

electric magnetic and gravitational fields and virtual particles.
    I suggest that you look those up

8. Sep 22, 2011 #7

I have, there's no explanation of what they are, there are descriptions of how they act, but what they consist of?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook