1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Don't understand phrasing of Question

1. Oct 15, 2009 #1
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask

A helical spring is rotated about one of its ends around a vertical axis. Investigate the expansion of the spring with and without an additional mass attached to its free end.

Does that make sense to you?

Not my question - a non-native-speaker friend asked me to explain the meaning of a few physics questions. I don't really understand the italicized part of this one though...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Basically, you lay the helical spring flat on the ground and spin it about one of its ends.

4. Oct 15, 2009 #3
    So - a cylindrical spring is sitting upright on the ground. You grab the top most edge, then start moving your arm in a circular motion. Is that it? Or, is the cylindrical spring sitting in the same manner, and you just grab the top most coil then start rotating the spring?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  5. Oct 15, 2009 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Like this:

http://images.absoluteastronomy.com/images/encyclopediaimages/m/mo/moment_of_inertia_rod_end.png [Broken]

where the rod is the spring

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Oct 16, 2009 #5
    Nor do I understand that png. Perhaps I'm just daft about this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook