1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dot and Cross Products (of Gradients)

1. Jul 23, 2009 #1
    Statement:
    I was wondering if the following are identical,
    [tex]\nabla \bullet \nabla \times \vec{A} = \nabla \bullet (\nabla \times \vec{A}) ?[/tex] (#1)

Also, more importantly I was wondering if someone could explain to me why the following is zero for any vector,

[tex]\nabla \bullet \nabla \times \vec{A} = 0?[/tex]

Reasoning:
    If we look at [tex]\nabla \bullet \nabla \times \vec{A}[/tex], Isn't [tex]\nabla \bullet \nabla[/tex] the laplacian, or [tex]\nabla^{2}?[/tex] Is that the reason we cannot perform the operation in equation (#1) above- the laplacian is a function that needs a vector field to be operated on, and there is none. So [tex]\nabla \bullet \nabla = 0.[/tex]

Thanks, alot,

JL

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2009 #2
    Yeah they're identical. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_product" [Broken] on what's called the "triple product."

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Jul 23, 2009 #3
    [tex]\nabla \bullet \nabla \times \vec{A} = 0 = div(curl(A))[/tex]

I mean if you think of it in terms of geometrical vectors, then if we're looking at the divergence of the amount of A which is contained it sort of intuitively seems like it should be zero.

If it's too hard to visualize then just work it out. Assume A is a vector function and take the curl of A then the divergence of the curl of A and by Clairaut's theorem you should see that it all cancels out.

Secondly [tex](\nabla \bullet \nabla) \times \vec{A}[/tex] makes no sense you cannot take the cross product of a scalar operator (which the laplacian is).

Finally the laplacian doesn't equal zero. It's a linear operator, it doesn't equal anything be itself. In fact it really doesn't have any meaning by itself if it's not being applied to a function in euclidean space.

5. Jul 23, 2009 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

It's more complicated then that. Work it out and you'll see the derivatives canceling.

6. Jul 24, 2009 #5
    I tried, for example I let [tex]\vec{H} = 2xy\hat{x} + x^2y^2z^2\hat{y} + x^3y^3z^3\hat{y}.[/tex]

When I take the curl,
    [tex]\nabla \times \vec{H} = [3x^3y^2z^3 - 2x^{2}y^{2}z]\hat{x} + [3x^{2}y^{3}z^{3} - 0]\hat{y} + [2xy^{2}z^{2} - 2x]\hat{z}[/tex] and let that whole thing equal [tex]\alpha[/tex]

So now when I take the divergence,
    [tex]\nabla \bullet \alpha = (9x^{2}y^{2}z^{3} - 4xy^{2}z) + 9(x^{2}y^{2}z^{3}) + (4xy^{2}z) = 18(x^{2}y^{2}z^{3}) \neq 0[/tex]

It seems like it almost worked out, the second term above needed a sign change, but I've reviewed the calculation, and it doesn't seem that I've made a mistake.

That was along the lines I was thinking, the laplacian requires a vector to be operated on, and it doesn't have one.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  7. Jul 24, 2009 #6

alphysicist

Homework Helper

I think your second term (the y-hat term) is missing a minus sign here.

8. Jul 24, 2009 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi jeff1evesque! :smile:

(have a del: ∇ and use \cdot, not \bullet:wink:)
    You're very confused. :redface:

Learn the following:

div curl = curl grad = 0

div(curlA) = ∇.(∇xA) = 0

curl(gradφ) = ∇x(∇φ) = 0

div(gradφ) = ∇2φ = Laplacian.

∇.(∇xA) is zero for the same reason that B.(BxA) is zero. :wink:

9. Jul 24, 2009 #8
    The y-hat consists of the following,
    [tex][\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(x^{3}y^{3}z^{3}) - \frac{\partial}{\partial z}(2xy)]\hat{y} = [3x^{2}y^{3}z^{3} - 0]\hat{y}[/tex]

Am I incorrect?

10. Jul 24, 2009 #9

alphysicist

Homework Helper

That is incorrect; it is the negative of that.

11. Jul 24, 2009 #10
    Thanks, I totally forgot (the notation is similar to taking determinants).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook