Dot and Cross Products (of Gradients)

• Thread starter jeff1evesque
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cross Dot
In summary, the statement and reasoning discuss the identity of \nabla \bullet \nabla \times \vec{A} and why it is equal to zero for any vector. The conversation involves a discussion about the laplacian and its operation on a vector field. The confusion about the laplacian and its relationship to the identity is resolved through the understanding of div(curlA) = 0.
jeff1evesque
Statement:
I was wondering if the following are identical,
[tex]\nabla \bullet \nabla \times \vec{A} = \nabla \bullet (\nabla \times \vec{A}) ?[/tex] (#1)

Also, more importantly I was wondering if someone could explain to me why the following is zero for any vector,

[tex]\nabla \bullet \nabla \times \vec{A} = 0?[/tex]

Reasoning:
If we look at [tex]\nabla \bullet \nabla \times \vec{A}[/tex], Isn't [tex]\nabla \bullet \nabla[/tex] the laplacian, or [tex]\nabla^{2}?[/tex] Is that the reason we cannot perform the operation in equation (#1) above- the laplacian is a function that needs a vector field to be operated on, and there is none. So [tex]\nabla \bullet \nabla = 0.[/tex]Thanks, alot,JL

Physics news on Phys.org
jeff1evesque said:
Statement:
[tex]\nabla \bullet \nabla \times \vec{A} = \nabla \bullet (\nabla \times \vec{A}) ?[/tex] (#1)

Also, more importantly I was wondering if someone could explain to me why the following is zero for any vector,

Reasoning:
If we look at [tex]\nabla \bullet \nabla \times \vec{A}[/tex], Isn't [tex]\nabla \bullet \nabla[/tex] the laplacian, or [tex]\nabla^{2}?[/tex] Is that the reason we cannot perform the operation in equation (#1) above- the laplacian is a function that needs a vector field to be operated on, and there is none. So [tex]\nabla \bullet \nabla = 0.[/tex]

Thanks, alot,

JL

Yeah they're identical. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_product" on what's called the "triple product."

Last edited by a moderator:
[tex]\nabla \bullet \nabla \times \vec{A} = 0 = div(curl(A))[/tex]

I mean if you think of it in terms of geometrical vectors, then if we're looking at the divergence of the amount of A which is contained it sort of intuitively seems like it should be zero.

If it's too hard to visualize then just work it out. Assume A is a vector function and take the curl of A then the divergence of the curl of A and by Clairaut's theorem you should see that it all cancels out.

Secondly [tex](\nabla \bullet \nabla) \times \vec{A}[/tex] makes no sense you cannot take the cross product of a scalar operator (which the laplacian is).

Finally the laplacian doesn't equal zero. It's a linear operator, it doesn't equal anything be itself. In fact it really doesn't have any meaning by itself if it's not being applied to a function in euclidean space.

It's more complicated then that. Work it out and you'll see the derivatives canceling.

Pengwuino said:
It's more complicated then that. Work it out and you'll see the derivatives canceling.

I tried, for example I let [tex]\vec{H} = 2xy\hat{x} + x^2y^2z^2\hat{y} + x^3y^3z^3\hat{y}.[/tex]

When I take the curl,
[tex]\nabla \times \vec{H} = [3x^3y^2z^3 - 2x^{2}y^{2}z]\hat{x} + [3x^{2}y^{3}z^{3} - 0]\hat{y} + [2xy^{2}z^{2} - 2x]\hat{z}[/tex] and let that whole thing equal [tex]\alpha[/tex]

So now when I take the divergence,
[tex]\nabla \bullet \alpha = (9x^{2}y^{2}z^{3} - 4xy^{2}z) + 9(x^{2}y^{2}z^{3}) + (4xy^{2}z) = 18(x^{2}y^{2}z^{3}) \neq 0[/tex]

It seems like it almost worked out, the second term above needed a sign change, but I've reviewed the calculation, and it doesn't seem that I've made a mistake.

...makes no sense you cannot take the cross product of a scalar operator (which the laplacian is).
That was along the lines I was thinking, the laplacian requires a vector to be operated on, and it doesn't have one.

Last edited:
jeff1evesque said:
I tried, for example I let [tex]\vec{H} = 2xy\hat{x} + x^2y^2z^2\hat{y} + x^3y^3z^3\hat{y}.[/tex]

When I take the curl,
[tex]\nabla \times \vec{H} = [3x^3y^2z^3 - 2x^{2}y^{2}z]\hat{z} + [3x^{2}y^{3}z^{3} - 0]\hat{y} + [2xy^{2}z^{2} - 2x]\hat{z}[/tex] and let that whole thing equal [tex]\alpha[/tex]

I think your second term (the y-hat term) is missing a minus sign here.

Hi jeff1evesque! :smile:

(have a del: ∇ and use \cdot, not \bullet:wink:)
jeff1evesque said:

Reasoning:
If we look at [tex]\nabla \bullet \nabla \times \vec{A}[/tex], Isn't [tex]\nabla \bullet \nabla[/tex] the laplacian, or [tex]\nabla^{2}?[/tex] Is that the reason we cannot perform the operation in equation (#1) above- the laplacian is a function that needs a vector field to be operated on, and there is none. So [tex]\nabla \bullet \nabla = 0.[/tex]

You're very confused. :redface:

Learn the following:

div curl = curl grad = 0

div(curlA) = ∇.(∇xA) = 0

curl(gradφ) = ∇x(∇φ) = 0

div(gradφ) = ∇2φ = Laplacian.

∇.(∇xA) is zero for the same reason that B.(BxA) is zero. :wink:

alphysicist said:
I think your second term (the y-hat term) is missing a minus sign here.

The y-hat consists of the following,
[tex][\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(x^{3}y^{3}z^{3}) - \frac{\partial}{\partial z}(2xy)]\hat{y} = [3x^{2}y^{3}z^{3} - 0]\hat{y}[/tex]

Am I incorrect?

jeff1evesque said:
The y-hat consists of the following,
[tex][\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(x^{3}y^{3}z^{3}) - \frac{\partial}{\partial z}(2xy)]\hat{y} = [3x^{2}y^{3}z^{3} - 0]\hat{y}[/tex]

Am I incorrect?

That is incorrect; it is the negative of that.

alphysicist said:
That is incorrect; it is the negative of that.

Thanks, I totally forgot (the notation is similar to taking determinants).

1. What is the definition of a dot product?

A dot product, also known as an inner product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as inputs and outputs a scalar value. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then summing them together.

2. How is the dot product related to the gradient?

The dot product of two vectors is related to the gradient of a function by the property that the gradient of a scalar field is perpendicular to the level curves of the function. This means that the dot product between the gradient vector and any vector tangent to the level curve will be equal to zero.

3. What is the purpose of calculating the dot product of gradients?

The dot product of gradients is often used in multivariable calculus to determine the direction of the steepest increase of a function. It can also be used to find the directional derivative of a function in a specific direction.

4. How is the dot product of gradients used in physics?

In physics, the dot product of gradients is used to calculate the work done by a force on an object. It is also used in determining the direction of the net force on an object in a given system.

5. Can the dot product of gradients be negative?

Yes, the dot product of gradients can be negative. This occurs when the two vectors are in opposite directions, indicating a decrease in the function in that direction. A positive dot product indicates an increase in the function in that direction.