Double bonds and energy level

In summary, the number of double bonds (N) in linear conjugated molecules, such as 1, 3-butadiene or 1, 3, 5-hexatriene, is related to the energy level (n) with two double bonds having n = 2 and three double bonds having n = 3. It is not always the case that n is equal to N, as discussed by the person's teacher. Despite being unrelated to her coursework, the teacher found it to be a good question.
terp.asessed
I am curious, for linear conjugated molecules, for example, those with double bonds as in 1, 3-butadiene or 1, 3, 5-hexatriene, how are their double bonds (suppose # of double bonds = N) related to energy levels (n)?

From what I gather, those with two double bonds have energy level n =2 and three double bonds n=3? I am curious if n is ALWAYS equal to N?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Hello, I discussed with my teacher about the question--one to one--and she explained to me! So, now I realized the mistake and now understand the question I had. But, again, thank you for the consideration! She thought it was a real good question, despite being unrelated to her coursework.

What is a double bond?

A double bond is a type of chemical bond between two atoms where two pairs of electrons are shared. This results in a stronger bond than a single bond, and is often found in molecules with carbon-carbon or carbon-oxygen bonds.

How does a double bond affect the energy level of a molecule?

A double bond contains more energy than a single bond due to the presence of two pairs of electrons. This energy can be released during chemical reactions, making double bonds important for the stability and reactivity of molecules.

What factors affect the strength of a double bond?

The strength of a double bond is affected by the types of atoms involved, the distance between the atoms, and the presence of any other bonds or functional groups in the molecule. Generally, double bonds between smaller atoms, such as carbon and oxygen, are stronger than those between larger atoms.

Can double bonds be broken or formed during a chemical reaction?

Yes, double bonds can be broken or formed during a chemical reaction. This process, known as bond cleavage or bond formation, involves the redistribution of electrons between atoms to create new bonds. The strength of the double bond affects the energy required for this process to occur.

What are some common examples of molecules with double bonds?

Some common examples of molecules with double bonds include ethene (C2H4), carbon dioxide (CO2), and ethanoic acid (CH3COOH). These molecules play important roles in everyday life, such as in the production of plastics, the greenhouse effect, and vinegar.