Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double bonds and energy level

1. Oct 3, 2014 #1
    I am curious, for linear conjugated molecules, for example, those with double bonds as in 1, 3-butadiene or 1, 3, 5-hexatriene, how are their double bonds (suppose # of double bonds = N) related to energy levels (n)?

From what I gather, those with two double bonds have energy level n =2 and three double bonds n=3? I am curious if n is ALWAYS equal to N?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Oct 8, 2014 #3
    Hello, I discussed with my teacher about the question--one to one--and she explained to me! So, now I realized the mistake and now understand the question I had. But, again, thank you for the consideration! She thought it was a real good question, despite being unrelated to her coursework.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook