1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double degree in physics/visual arts unwise?

1. Jul 26, 2014 #1
    I'm honestly surprised they're offering it in the first place, but there you go.
    First thing is I'm equally passionate about both art and physics, because they're an approach into understanding how the world works. i.e. knowledge makes me ridiculously happy.

I've been engaging and reading about both subjects ever since childhood, so it pains me to have to make a choice between the two. The most rational course would seem to be pursue one as a career, and the other as a hobby. But I'm an indecisive person who wants to do both!

So my question is, would that be redundant? I can't imagine how I could combine art with physics as a career... The thing about this course though that instead of 3 years it is extended to 4 years to accommodate both, so I suppose that puts off a bit of strain, but undoubtedly both courses would require a lot of time.

Any opinion/advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2014 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You CAN combine visual arts and physics. Do you understand that physics gives us skills and concepts directly related to photography? Do you understand that visual communication techniques are important for explaining physical sciences and technology? Imagine creating a three dimensional model of something you are studying.

4. Jul 26, 2014 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Well, technically that wouldn't be redundant. Redundant refers to multiple tasks achieving the same objective.

That said, I think it's fine to pursue both, but it's also important to keep in mind your objectives in doing so. With respect to physics, it's important to keep in mind that most people who start down that path don't end up doing physics as a career in academia. With respect to art how much does one need a formal education in it to pursue that as a career? (I really have no idea as I've never looked into it.)

5. Jul 27, 2014 #4
    I haven't thought of that, thanks.

WHOOPS I thought it meant something different, my bad.

From what I've gathered companies don't need your degree, just a good portfolio. I don't know what I want to do with my life yet, so I'll keep an open mind. Thanks.

6. Jul 27, 2014 #5
    I was in the same situation. I went for BSc in Physics but I realized that I hate programming and doing research (and I really was interested in physics) so I went to art school after graduation (higher education is free in my country) and I regret that I wasted my time doing physics.

I suggest doing visual arts because:

- you will likely do physics as your hobby anyway because it's very very hard to get a job related to physics (and you would need to get degree in engineering rather than in physics) while with strong portfolio getting a job related to an art is not that hard - good graphic/industrial/entertainment designers or tatooists will always be in demand.

- you need to work hard for many years in order to have a good portfolio. Physics classes are very time-consuming so you won't have a time to work on your art skills. So it's either art or physics.

- you don't need college degree but there are good ateliers and non-degree courses (online too) which are much cheaper than art school but allow you to get the best education. However if you want to do industrial design I think you should get college degree.

7. Jul 27, 2014 #6
    Thanks Rika, that clears up a lot of things :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  8. Jul 28, 2014 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like an interesting combination!

Perhaps there are opportunities doing "artist's rendering" drawings of physics-related things, especially intended for the layman. Or computer generated graphics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook