Masters in physics with a bachelors in liberal arts

In summary: It's like a varsity sports competition, grad schools want the best and the best usually have a competitive edge in grades and test scores.
I am a liberal arts student who is interested in pursuing physics after graduating. I've taken some physics courses over the last 2 years. They are waves and oscillations, classical electrodynamics, Qm1 and Qm2, statistical physics, and one course in experimental physics. I have learned topics like classical mechanics and Solid State physics independently. I also have a good knowledge of mathematics, I've studied, independently, real analysis (Rudin), undergrad algebra (Herstein), topology (Munkres), measure theory (Folland), and functional analysis (Kryszig). Do you think I would be able to get into some university in the USA or Europe?. If so what would be the plan of action you suggest, I take?

P.S : I wanted to add the prefix 'program', but i am unable to

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with ZapperZ's Post: Entering Physics Graduate School from Another Major

Unfortunately, independent study doesn't count for much in terms of graduate school admissions. Most places will really only evaluate you on your transcripts.

What might help is talking to an academic advisor to see what holes you need to fill in formally to be considered competitive for admission the gradate programs you're looking at.

What is your major? How long before you graduate?

gmax137 said:
What is your major? How long before you graduate?
sociology, ill graduate this year

Did you impress the teachers of the physics courses? Did you learn a lot with little difficulty? Were your grades very good?

hutchphd said:
Did you impress the teachers of the physics courses? Did you learn a lot with little difficulty? Were your grades very good?
grades were good for some courses, 2 professors are willing to give LOR's.

steve12456 said:
sociology, ill graduate this year
You got an "ology", you're a scientist!

I hope the good grades were the EM and Quantum2 and the recommendations sterling. Some larger state schools augment their Teaching Assistant pool by admitting more grad students than they hope to matriculate and you may be able to gain access via that route and then shine. But it will be pretty brutal I expect.

What is a Masters in Physics with a Bachelors in Liberal Arts?

A Masters in Physics with a Bachelors in Liberal Arts is a graduate degree program that combines advanced studies in physics with a foundation in the liberal arts. This program is designed for students who have completed a bachelor's degree in a liberal arts field and are interested in pursuing a career in physics or a related field.

What are the benefits of pursuing a Masters in Physics with a Bachelors in Liberal Arts?

One of the main benefits of this program is that it allows students with a liberal arts background to gain advanced knowledge and skills in a scientific field. This can open up opportunities for careers in fields such as research, teaching, and industry. Additionally, this program can provide a well-rounded education that combines critical thinking and problem-solving skills from the liberal arts with the technical knowledge of physics.

What are the admission requirements for a Masters in Physics with a Bachelors in Liberal Arts?

The admission requirements vary by institution, but typically include a bachelor's degree in a liberal arts field, such as English, history, or philosophy, with a strong foundation in math and science courses. Some programs may also require GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

What courses can I expect to take in a Masters in Physics with a Bachelors in Liberal Arts program?

The specific courses will vary by institution, but students can expect to take advanced courses in physics, such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. They may also take courses in research methodology, scientific writing, and interdisciplinary studies that bridge the gap between the liberal arts and physics.

What career opportunities are available with a Masters in Physics with a Bachelors in Liberal Arts?

Graduates of this program may pursue careers in research, teaching, and industry. They may work in fields such as materials science, renewable energy, or medical physics. The combination of critical thinking skills from the liberal arts and technical knowledge from physics can make graduates versatile and well-suited for a variety of positions.

Suggested for: Masters in physics with a bachelors in liberal arts

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies