Masters in physics with a bachelors in liberal arts

In summary: It's like a varsity sports competition, grad schools want the best and the best usually have a competitive edge in grades and test scores.
steve12456
I am a liberal arts student who is interested in pursuing physics after graduating. I've taken some physics courses over the last 2 years. They are waves and oscillations, classical electrodynamics, Qm1 and Qm2, statistical physics, and one course in experimental physics. I have learned topics like classical mechanics and Solid State physics independently. I also have a good knowledge of mathematics, I've studied, independently, real analysis (Rudin), undergrad algebra (Herstein), topology (Munkres), measure theory (Folland), and functional analysis (Kryszig). Do you think I would be able to get into some university in the USA or Europe?. If so what would be the plan of action you suggest, I take?

P.S : I wanted to add the prefix 'program', but i am unable to

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with ZapperZ's Post: Entering Physics Graduate School from Another Major

Unfortunately, independent study doesn't count for much in terms of graduate school admissions. Most places will really only evaluate you on your transcripts.

What might help is talking to an academic advisor to see what holes you need to fill in formally to be considered competitive for admission the gradate programs you're looking at.

What is your major? How long before you graduate?

gmax137 said:
What is your major? How long before you graduate?
sociology, ill graduate this year

Did you impress the teachers of the physics courses? Did you learn a lot with little difficulty? Were your grades very good?

hutchphd said:
Did you impress the teachers of the physics courses? Did you learn a lot with little difficulty? Were your grades very good?
grades were good for some courses, 2 professors are willing to give LOR's.

steve12456 said:
sociology, ill graduate this year
You got an "ology", you're a scientist!

I hope the good grades were the EM and Quantum2 and the recommendations sterling. Some larger state schools augment their Teaching Assistant pool by admitting more grad students than they hope to matriculate and you may be able to gain access via that route and then shine. But it will be pretty brutal I expect.

1. What is the difference between a Masters in Physics with a Bachelors in Liberal Arts and a traditional Masters in Physics?

A traditional Masters in Physics program typically requires a Bachelor's degree in a related field such as Physics or Engineering. However, a Masters in Physics with a Bachelors in Liberal Arts allows students with a non-science background to pursue a graduate degree in Physics by completing prerequisite courses before starting the program.

2. Can I apply to a Masters in Physics with a Bachelors in Liberal Arts if I have a non-science undergraduate degree?

Yes, many universities offer this program specifically for students with a non-science background. However, some programs may require applicants to have completed certain science and math courses before applying.

3. What career opportunities are available with a Masters in Physics with a Bachelors in Liberal Arts?

Graduates with this degree can pursue careers in research, teaching, and industry. They may also work in fields such as data analysis, engineering, or finance, depending on their specific area of focus within the program.

4. How long does it take to complete a Masters in Physics with a Bachelors in Liberal Arts?

The duration of the program can vary depending on the university and the student's course load. On average, it takes 2-3 years to complete the program.

5. What skills will I gain from a Masters in Physics with a Bachelors in Liberal Arts?

Students in this program will develop strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a deep understanding of fundamental physics principles. They will also gain experience in data analysis, computer programming, and scientific research methods.