1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Major in Physics and ?

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1
    Just wondering if I get get some opinions on what is thought to be more "employable", a double major in physics and math, or physics and chemistry?

Or if there's another combination you would like to recommend, feel free!

Some sources online say physics is a great thing to major in with the need for science related graduates right now...Other sources say physics is as "worthless" as philosophy. Whatever. So, I figure a double major, if i can pull it off, would be better than one in terms of finding a job after school. (although I guess I should add that I have every intention of getting a masters, maybe even phd eventually, but I wont try to decide which subject until I have my undergrad degree figured out...) And if I could get a job in the field WHILE pursuing a masters, that would be great...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If you only care about empoyability, then a double major in physics and engineering is best.

4. Feb 1, 2012 #3
    Hmm, haven't considered that... I've always considered engineering to be an option for grad school. I was afraid of getting too specialized in a field during undergrad years then deciding I want to do something else. That's why I kind of like physics, I feel like it will provide a large number of options...

5. Feb 14, 2012 #4
  6. Feb 14, 2012 #5

ktb

Since chemistry is applied physics and physics is applied math, I'd say getting a double in math and physics is more employable, at least for physicists. You don't need to know chemistry to do physics, so it would be irrelevant to take all of those classes if you want to be a physicist. However, if you want to be a chemist, having a strong physics background would look great, just as having a strong mathematical background looks great for physicists.

7. Feb 14, 2012 #6
    I agree that engineering is good for employent at the bachelors level, so are biochemistry, molecular biology and similar majors. If I were hiring, resumes with degree combinations like physics/English, physics/communications, physics/business would catch my attention and generate more interest than a science/math or double science major. The reason is that it's hard to find well rounded individuals who can function and communicate well in a more or less professional environment. Physics/art, physics/philosophy, physics/anthropology, and many others would be similarly impressive to me, as indicative of a person's diversity of interests and abilities. That being said, if I were back in undergrad, I would pick a second major based almost entirely on what I like to study most (no way would I ever pick business or communications, although I can certainly respect folks who like those fields). Just my opinion though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook