1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Majoring Medicene & Physics?

1. Apr 19, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I enjoy both subjects and it also adds financial and job stability if say Physics does not work out (due to scarcity of it in Job market). Next, medicine also has nice pay which is very important especially in later life.

I would put maximum effort into the double major. Is double majoring medicine and physics too much pressure? Is it wise to take it?

I LOVE both subjects!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

In my country at least, medicine is a very very big workload. And there is very little overlap with physics. So no, I do not recommend a double major at all. It seems like the road to a burn-out. Now in the US, things might be different since (people are invited to say I don't know anything) you only apply to med school after you already have a bachelors.

4. Apr 19, 2015 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Yes, in the US, one normally doesn't receive a bachelor's degree in medicine, or rather, pre-medical studies. Instead, one majors in some other field as an undergraduate, usually biology (but other fields are possible including physics), and takes additional courses outside the major as necessary, to prepare for the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). Applying to medical school is much like applying to graduate school in other fields: grades, MCAT scores, letters of recommendation, work or internship experience in a medical setting. I don't remember seeing a college or university that offers a bachelor's degree in pre-medical studies, but I wouldn't be surprised. It's a big country with many colleges and universities.

5. Apr 19, 2015 #4
    I believe that medical schools in the US have specific course requirements for admission to their programs, You may major in anything as long as you get the required courses. for the specific medical school.

See for example Yale's requirements

https://medicine.yale.edu/education/admissions/apply/premed.aspx [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. Apr 19, 2015 #5
    You should look into biophysics many schools offer this as a major and it ties in medicine with physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook