Double slit and wave particle duality

• B
  • Thread starter Isaac0427
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

There is no measurement method in which they display both wavelike and point like behavior simultaneously.
Just for my knowledge, not to confuse the OP, why would you say, for example, the double slit experiment does not show both of these properties in one measurement method?

[Mentors' more: this thread was forked off from another thread]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Just for my knowledge, not to confuse the OP, why would you say, for example, the double slit experiment does not show both of these properties in one measurement method?
The usual double slit experiment very clearly demonstrates wavelike behaviour with light.
I guess you might see point like behaviour at extremely low frequencies though I'm not sure if it that would be too low to actually measure anything.

The usual double slit experiment very clearly demonstrates wavelike behaviour with light.
When the experiment is run with electrons, though, you get wavelike behavior from a large number of single-electron measurements over time, but particlelike locality with each single-electron measurement.

Nugatory
Mentor
When the experiment is run with electrons, though, you get wavelike behavior from a large number of single-electron measurements over time
You get wave-like behavior in the probability of an electron landing at any particular location. That's not the same thing as saying that the electrons themselves are behaving like waves.

Bohemian mechanics works just fine to explain the double-slit experiment, and it clearly distinguishes between the wave and the electrons; the wave steers the electrons to produce the observed many-electron patterns.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You get wave-like behavior in the probability of an electron landing at any particular location. That's not the same thing as saying that the electrons themselves are behaving like waves.

Bohemian mechanics works just fine to explain the double-slit experiment, and it clearly distinguishes between the wave and the electrons; the wave steers the electrons to produce the observed many-electron patterns.
But we are just chasing the same old cart down the road if we think we need to justify ourselves to make these things fit every person who wants to know whats 'really' going on. "It's quantum mechanics" is the only answer.