Double Slit Interference Question II

In summary, the experiment involves a stream of photons passing through a double-slit and then through a crystal which splits them into coherent entangled pairs. One photon from each pair is directed towards a detector (D0) for observation of interference fringes, while the other travels towards one of two detectors (D1 or D3) depending on which slit it went through. The experiment in Figure 2 is a simplified version without a Coincidence Counter, but it is uncertain if it will still work to detect interference. It is possible for some photons to escape from all detectors in this experiment.
David Charles
TL;DR Summary
Follow-up to my previous post (Double Slit Interference Question) I have a question regarding the effect(s) of obtaining the which-path information of photons that have travelled through a double slit. I'm posting the question anew without my previous diagram which was incomplete/confusing. The basic question is: if detectors are positioned such that every single photon striking a detector must have come from one or another of the two slits, will this automatically destroy all interference?
A stream of photons pass through a double-slit. The photon stream emerging from each slit then passes through a crystal which splits each photon into coherent entangled pairs. One photon from each pair heads towards a detector (D0) that "can be scanned by a step motor along its x-axis for the observation of interference fringes" and the entangled twin travels toward one of two detectors (one for each slit)

Figure 1 is a replica of a figure from "A DELAYED CHOICE QUANTUM ERASER" - https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9903047v1. Since many of you are more familiar with this experiment than myself, I won’t explain anything here.

Figure 2 shows a simplified version of the configuration in Figure 1. In Figure 2, the Coincidence Counter has been removed, as well as the half-silvered mirrors. Mirror 3 has been repositioned such that it directs all photons to a detector. All photons will thus be detected at either D1 or D3.

Question: Will the experiment shown in Figure 2 work? (i.e. will the detection of photons at D1 and D3 destroy any interference that may have occurred at D0?)

I'm thinking that in the Figure 2 configuration, the Coincidence Counter is not necessary, as we are not trying to extract a subset of photons from a superset consisting of a mix of photons that had either the which-path information obtained or not.

Thanks, so much.

Attachments

• Figure 1.png
    Figure 1.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Figure 2.png
    Figure 2.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 129
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not acquainted with photon experiment so much. Can such a thing happen that some photons escape from all the detectors ?

anuttarasammyak said:
I am not acquainted with photon experiment so much. Can such a thing happen that some photons escape from all the detectors ?

I think it is possible.

1. What is double slit interference?

Double slit interference is a phenomenon that occurs when light passes through two parallel slits and creates an interference pattern on a screen. This pattern is caused by the superposition of light waves from the two slits, resulting in areas of constructive and destructive interference.

2. How does double slit interference work?

Double slit interference works by the principle of superposition, where waves from two sources combine to form a new wave. In this case, the waves from the two slits interfere with each other, creating areas of reinforcement and cancellation on the screen.

3. What factors affect the interference pattern in double slit interference?

The factors that affect the interference pattern in double slit interference include the distance between the slits, the wavelength of the light, and the distance between the slits and the screen. These factors can change the spacing and intensity of the interference pattern on the screen.

4. Can other types of waves exhibit double slit interference?

Yes, other types of waves, such as sound waves and water waves, can also exhibit double slit interference. This is because they also exhibit the properties of superposition and interference.

5. What are the practical applications of double slit interference?

Double slit interference has practical applications in fields such as optics, acoustics, and quantum mechanics. It is used to study the properties of light and other waves, and it also plays a crucial role in technologies such as holography and diffraction gratings.