Dr. Michio Kaku America Has A Secret Weapon

• News
  • Thread starter Willowz
  • Start date
I've got to agree with the others. Being an expert in his field doesn't make him an expert on things outside his field. That's a common flaw people make in judging others and why advertisements using famous sports stars work so well. "Anybody who can throw a pass as good as Peyton Manning has to know what car is best to buy!" "If Sean Penn is voting for this guy and he has to know what he's talking about - he played a politician in a movie!" "I saw Fred Thompson in Law and Order and I know he'd make a great President"
Along with Stephen Hawking, I think it's reasonable to say Dr. Kaku is one of the "faces of modern science and physics" to many people - he seems to be everywhere talking about science and trying to spark interest among young students. Is it really fair to make these comparisons? He's out there using his star power to promote science to US students - not selling cars or running for office.

http://science.discovery.com/tv/sci-fi-science/michio-kaku-bio.html

http://mkaku.org/

http://www.facebook.com/michiokaku

http://www.democracynow.org/2011/4/13/dr_michio_kaku_on_physics_of

Migrants to pick farm produce cheaper than Americans. H1B visas to do engineering and science cheaper than Americans. The government serves the owning class not the working class.

I think it's reasonable to say Dr. Kaku is one of the "faces of modern science and physics" to many people - he seems to be everywhere talking about science and trying to spark interest among young students.
And the surest way to kill interest in young students is to point out the actual realities of the job market. Better to advertise a shortage and tell people there are jobs waiting for them (even if its a flat out lie). Human capital is (after all) expendable- there is a new generation of suckers coming up the pipeline.

Is it really fair to make these comparisons? He's out there using his star power to promote science to US students - not selling cars or running for office.
He is trying to SELL science as a career to suckers like myself. The more suckers end up in grad school, the cheaper science gets. Its great for consumers of science, but terrible for actual scientists.

Keep in mind the quotes from his website he posted- he recommends getting a phd in physics so you can then find a job as a programmer (which has no added value from your phd) so you can research in your spare time. We can't all be gentleman(gentlewoman) scientists- some of us have to eat.

A few more thoughts on this:

Whether the best and brightest scientists in the world choose to pursue their careers in the US or in their home countries has apparently nothing to do with US secondary school education or the H-1B program.

As would be expected, with advancements in all countries, and regardless of the general quality of US secondary school education and the H-1B program, US born scientists comprise a decidedly minority, and decreasing, percentage of the world scientific community.

The US, because of its wealth and range of opportunities, has been a magnet for top notch scientific talent, and the level of excellence of US colleges and universities and industrial and business centers of scientific research and development has been to some extent dependent on this influx of foreign talent. Even though this continues to be the case, if it's decreasingly so, then maybe Kaku is saying that in order to stay in the forefront of scientific innovation the US will have to boost the level of its secondary educational system wrt science, technology, engineering and mathematics. Though there might be something to that, I don't have an opinion on it yet and tend to think that such increases in the level of secondary school education as might be possible won't significantly affect the rate of emergence of US born top scientific talent.

Wrt H-1B visas, their primary effect seems to be to provide US employers with cheaper middle and lower level technical workers. As such, since the H-1B program ostensibly exists to fill positions that can't be filled by US graduates, then it's based on lies -- because there certainly seem to be enough US graduates in science, technology, engineering and mathematics to fill every position occupied by a lower paid foreign national.

So, in a sense, maybe the H-1B program can be, as Kaku has, characterized as "America's secret weapon". However, it seems to be a weapon directed against America's home grown talent in science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

US wealth?

turbo
Gold Member
And the surest way to kill interest in young students is to point out the actual realities of the job market. Better to advertise a shortage and tell people there are jobs waiting for them (even if its a flat out lie). Human capital is (after all) expendable- there is a new generation of suckers coming up the pipeline.

He is trying to SELL science as a career to suckers like myself. The more suckers end up in grad school, the cheaper science gets. Its great for consumers of science, but terrible for actual scientists.

Keep in mind the quotes from his website he posted- he recommends getting a phd in physics so you can then find a job as a programmer (which has no added value from your phd) so you can research in your spare time. We can't all be gentleman(gentlewoman) scientists- some of us have to eat.
All part of the "race to the bottom" philosophy, IMO. Pay top-dollar for your education in the best (most expensive) institutions so that you can compete with graduates from third-world countries who will work for much less. Yeah, they will be sending money to their families (if they actually work here) but that's a much softer debt-load than trying to pay off the debt on your student loans. I am SO glad that I'm not one of today's crop of university students.