Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How Michio Kaku, Alex Filippenko, Laura Danly, et al. earn their pay

1. Feb 17, 2013 #1
    Answer? They do it by scaring the hell out of us with what Michio Kaku has perfected as the 6 second scare soundbyte (6SSS). How's that for an alliteration? If you really pay attention to these shows, you can see how the producers coach our friends to "really bring it home to the lay viewer how physics affects them." The result is the 6SSS.

I thought it might be fun for everyone to post their favorite soundbytes from our friends the popular physicists, or hell, just make one up! That's what they do. Here's a few to get the ball rolling:

1) "If it weren't for the electromagnetic force, the Sun and the Earth would simply BLOW apart!"

2) "If we could convert all the mass in this bowling bowl to pure energy, it would be the end of life on this planet as we know it."

3) "Thank god for the Pauli exclusion principle, without it, you would fall right through your chair and become spagattified as you reached the center of the earth."

Get the idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2013 #2
    Re: How Michio Kaku, Alex Filippenko, Laura Danly, et al. earn their p

"The fine structure constant is so finely tuned, that if were simply 1/138 instead of 1/137, your hand would blow up in your face when you went to scratch your nose!"

4. Feb 17, 2013 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

"A black hole sucks in everything around it into the event horizon"

5. Feb 17, 2013 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's called television. Its purpose is to hold your attention so you can be served advertisements.

6. Feb 17, 2013 #5

C'mon, don't you guys have any imagination? I mean, "if it weren't for the strong force governing the behavior of ion exchange in axonal conduction, you would not even be able to comprehend this sentence!!!"

7. Feb 17, 2013 #6

"If the Universe were any different, it wouldn't be the same!"

8. Feb 17, 2013 #7

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

If the universe were any different, we wouldn't be here.

9. Feb 17, 2013 #8

jedishrfu

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Carl Sagan

10. Feb 17, 2013 #9

That was so deep man!!!
    Dude guy

11. Feb 17, 2013 #10

"Once confined to fantasy and science fiction, time travel is now simply an engineering problem" - Michio Kaku......the public: :surprised physicists:..face palm...

12. Feb 17, 2013 #11

I know, right. But where's my show on the History channel?

13. Feb 17, 2013 #12

"The concept of Pi is essential to our way of life. If Pi didn't exist, there would be no merry-go-round, no Ferris wheel, and no automobiles!"

14. Feb 17, 2013 #13

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

This is EXACTLY the kind of statement from that jerk that makes me think it is unfair of you to lump the others in with him. They DO make bone-headed statements from time to time, but Kaku is clearly in a class all by himself.

15. Feb 18, 2013 #14

jedishrfu

Well, they made a movie about you didn't they?

16. Feb 18, 2013 #15

"If you ate 50 million bananas, you would die from radiation poisoning"

17. Feb 18, 2013 #16

"If time didn't exist, everything would happen at once. If empty space were really empty, everything would be stuck together."

The Celestial Mechanic.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  18. Feb 18, 2013 #17

I think we are actually getting somewhere here, some profound insights. Why go to school and study math and physics when you can reach omniscience through the collection of "knowledge nuggets" provided us by our popular physics programming?

19. Feb 21, 2013 #18

I don't think that being an intellectual or a deeply thinking person requires you to have a diploma always.I think it's not either popular science shows or highschools that make one intellectual and from that comes also knowledge , I think it is the talent or what your born with + alot of work and self sacrifice a little bit of luck too.Schools are good they give you knowledge but not to everyone.I know people who have high skills with no diploma at all and I know people who can't even build a simple amplifier after finishing an electrical engineering diploma.
    Richard Feynman learned his math even before he went on to school (collage) for example.
    Ok excuse me for the offtopic a little.
    Now my two cents of this thread I have wondered what it would be like if the universe started off with much much less matter in it but with all the current laws of physics as we know them.
    Let's say just our solar system and a few other galaxies and that's all but the laws stay the same would it change something in our everyday life , if not for the fact that we would see much less or almoust no stars at night sky.
    Also it would have to do with whether the universe is finite or infinite as now we really don't know for sure but then it would surely have to be finite.Well I guess that poses a scientific and philosophical question.

20. Feb 21, 2013 #19

mfb

2016 Award

Our solar system (and in particular, rock planets) could not exist without nuclei produced and released in supernovae of earlier stars.

21. Feb 21, 2013 #20

Is that actually a quote from one of these types of shows?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook