1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drag racing (a symbolic power problem)

1. Dec 17, 2006 #1

OVB

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A dragster of mass m races another a distance d from a dead stop. Assume a constant instaneous power P for the entire race (provided by engine) and the dragster is like a particle. Find the elapsed time for the race.

2. Relevant equations

Well, P = Fv is needed for this I know, and F = ma and v = d/t

so P = (m*a*d)/t

and Pt = m*a*d

so t = (m*a*d)/P

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, I thought that the final equation was enough, but evidently there is some manipulating of variables that I am oblivious to, because hte back of the book says t = ((3d/2)^(2/3))((m/2P)^(1/3)).

I have no idea where a cube or cube root would come into play in determining the time. I have a feeling there is some integration involved, but how would a work integral give me what the book says?

So you now know I am not looking for an answer, but a method. (Judging by the fact that these conditions have been mandated for the first time I have seen them, I'm guessing people were just trying to get easy answers. I just want to learn the problem solving technique from the pros.)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Integration will be required. Also, you need to go one step back from P = Fv to see where that relationship comes from and decide if it is valid in your problem.

4. Dec 18, 2006 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Another approach would be to remember that power is change in energy per unit time. So the change in energy per time is constant in this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?