Dreaming of Work While Napping in My Old-School Office

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits of having an old-school office and taking short naps during lunch to increase productivity. The speaker also shares a dream about working and discusses the movie "Total Recall" and its interpretation of a white light at the end. They also mention being sick and having a dream about being chased by a bear.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm lucky that I have an old-school office (I work in an old building), not a cubicle. At lunch I usually close the door and take a short nap. Ten minutes and I'm good for the rest of the day!

I usually don't dream during a nap, but today when I dozed off, I had a short dream...I dreamt I was working :smile: !

...jeez I hate that, when I sleep at work, and dream about work...what a waste of a perfectly good dream...

Physics news on Phys.org
I was watching "Total Recall" yesterday, and one of the fundamental issues of the movie was whether or not the "white light" at the end was a "happily ever after", or a "labotomy". My interpretation is that Arnold was so f'n realistic in his dream, that even if he was sleepwalking, he would have still survived. So I disagree with the labotomy interpretation. So, keep on dreaming lisab.

What white light? When he falls asleep in the Mind Place chair to get a pseudo-fantasy?

Anyway, I've been sick all week. Fever + drowsy Niquil pills = dream of me being chased by a bear. In my infinite wisdom, I decided to climb a tree. Strangely enough, the bear didn't climb the tree. Instead, he jumped over a nearby 5-foot fence. I was like "Whoa! How did he do that!?"

Related to Dreaming of Work While Napping in My Old-School Office

1. What causes people to dream about work while napping?

There are a few potential reasons for this. One possibility is that the person's subconscious mind is preoccupied with work-related thoughts and stress, which can manifest in their dreams. Another explanation could be that the person is feeling guilty or anxious about not being productive while napping, leading to dreams about work. Lastly, it could simply be a coincidence and have no specific meaning.

2. Is dreaming about work while napping a sign of a sleep disorder?

Not necessarily. It is normal for people to dream about their daily activities, including work, during naps. However, if it happens frequently and disrupts the person's sleep, it could be a sign of a sleep disorder such as insomnia or sleep apnea. If you are concerned, it is best to consult a doctor.

3. Can napping in an old-school office affect the content of the dream?

Possibly. Our surroundings can influence our dreams, so napping in an old-school office may trigger memories and feelings associated with that environment. This could potentially affect the content of the dream, but it ultimately depends on the individual and their personal experiences.

4. Is it common to remember dreams about work while napping?

It is common for people to remember dreams about work while napping, especially if the dream is vivid or emotionally charged. Naps tend to occur during the lighter stages of sleep, making it easier to recall dreams compared to deep sleep. However, not everyone remembers their dreams, so it varies from person to person.

5. Can napping in my old-school office actually improve my productivity?

It depends on the individual and their sleeping habits. Napping can be beneficial for some people, as it can improve alertness and cognitive function. However, it can also disrupt the sleep cycle and lead to grogginess and decreased productivity. Additionally, napping in an old-school office may not be the most comfortable or conducive environment for restful sleep. It is best to experiment and find what works best for you.