Dropped out for 5 years -- What are my chances at Grad schools?

In summary, the individual has an interesting schooling history with some struggles in community college but has since improved their grades and is now aiming to pursue a physics degree. They are concerned about how their time in community college may affect their chances of getting into grad school, specifically in the field of astrophysics. However, it is believed that their current academic performance, GRE scores, and letters of recommendation will have a greater impact on their chances. It is also recommended to reach out to counselors or admissions at their current university to inquire about potential grad school options.
Chiyaboi
Hello, so i have an interesting schooling history and was wondering how that would effect my chances of getting into grad schools.

i went to community college for a couple of years but due to deaths in the family and severe financial hardships i really struggled attending and eventually stopped going all together. I finished with around 45 credits a 3.2 gpa and 5 withdrawals.

Fast forward 5 years and being in a much better place in my life i decide to pursue physics i started at a university and was able to get a 4.0 this first semester. I believe if i work very hard i can maintain a 4.0 or close to it for my last 4 or 5 semesters i have left.

I took no physics classes at community college so my major gpa is currently perfect and i hope to maintain that. With this in mind I was wondering what grad schools i would have a chance at with this gpa. i know other factors play an important role so i’m trying to do all the research i can the next two years as well as get good recommendations and test scores.

i just wanted to know how badly that time at community college will skew what schools will think of my application when it comes time. I desperately want to pursue astrophysics but i’m a goal oriented person and visualizing and setting an expectation of what my next step in pursuing a phd would help me out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chiyaboi said:
I just wanted to know how badly that time at community college will skew what schools will think of my application when it comes time. I desperately want to pursue astrophysics but i’m a goal oriented person and visualizing and setting an expectation of what my next step in pursuing a phd would help me out.
First, welcome to PF!

I don't know but I can make a couple of observations. I think it is going to be a lot more important how you do in school now and how you finish up undergrad than what happened 5 years ago. It may also be easier to get into the physics grad school at the school you are attending now than a different one. Nothing should prevent you from talking to counselors or people in admissions where you are now to probe their minds on the matter. You may not get into your first choice but it is highly likely you will get into some grad school.

Last edited:
bob012345 said:
First, welcome to PF!

I don't know but I can make a couple of observations. I think it is going to be a lot more important how you do in school now and how you finish up undergrad than what happened 5 years ago. It may also be easier to get into the physics grad school at the school you are attending now than a different one. Nothing should prevent you from talking to counselors or people in admissions where you are now to probe their minds on the matter. You may not get into your first choice but it is highly likely you will get into some grad school.
Thank you! i found this site looking for someone with a situation similar to mine and it looks to have a ton of tools that are super helpful so i’ll be spending a lot of time here.

Thank you so much for your input the only thing about my current university is they don’t have an astronomy/astrophysics phd program and don’t really do any research in that area, but it’s great to know you think i have chances of getting in somewhere!

Likes bob012345
I don't think courses you took in community college will have a huge impact. Besides...how will you change things? Keep your 4.0, ace the GRE and get excellent letters, ideally involving research, and you'll be in good shape.

Likes Astronuc and CalcNerd

1. Can I still get into a grad school after being out of school for 5 years?

Yes, it is possible to get into a grad school after being out of school for 5 years. Many grad schools value real-world experience and may even see it as an advantage. However, it may depend on the specific program and school you are applying to.

2. Will my grades from 5 years ago still be considered?

Yes, your grades from 5 years ago will still be considered when applying to grad school. However, some schools may require you to retake certain courses or demonstrate that you have kept up with the material during your time away from school.

3. How can I make my application stand out after being out of school for 5 years?

There are a few ways you can make your application stand out after being out of school for 5 years. You can highlight any relevant work experience or projects you have completed during that time, as well as any additional skills or certifications you have acquired. You can also ask for strong letters of recommendation from current or previous employers.

4. Will my time away from school affect my chances of receiving financial aid?

It may depend on the specific financial aid requirements of the grad school you are applying to. Some schools may consider your work experience and income during your time away from school, while others may only consider your current financial situation. It is best to check with the school's financial aid office for more information.

5. Are there any specific steps I should take to prepare for grad school after a 5-year break?

Yes, there are a few steps you can take to prepare for grad school after a 5-year break. It is important to research the specific requirements and application process for the schools and programs you are interested in. You may also want to consider taking refresher courses or studying on your own to brush up on any skills or knowledge that may be necessary for your chosen program. Additionally, networking and reaching out to professionals in your field can help you gain valuable insights and advice.