• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author

Main Question or Discussion Point

Did you think that dropping turkeys out of an airplane was only a hilarious episode from "WKRP in Cincinnati"? (I think I just dated myself.) Think again!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...keys-from-planes-in-arkansas-continues-today/

And someone should show these people the difference between wild turkey and the domestic turkey that they grew for consumption. No one in their right mind would think that later could fly out of the blue with their fattened physiology and after being confined all their lives! Seriously!

And for those who missed my reference at the beginning of this post, catch up here:

Zz.

Likes 1oldman2, titatos, Student100 and 1 other person

Answers and Replies

Helicopter

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
Full episode here:

"Mr Collie, we know what the humane society stands for....but Mr. Collie, a lot of turkeys don't make it through Thanksgiving."

They had stop the "possum drop" on New Year's Eve, in Brasstown, NC because animal rights activists thought it scared the opossum. It was the highlight of the area.

Tsu
Gold Member
Did you think that dropping turkeys out of an airplane was only a hilarious episode from "WKRP in Cincinnati"? (I think I just dated myself.) Think again!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...keys-from-planes-in-arkansas-continues-today/

And someone should show these people the difference between wild turkey and the domestic turkey that they grew for consumption. No one in their right mind would think that later could fly out of the blue with their fattened physiology and after being confined all their lives! Seriously!

And for those who missed my reference at the beginning of this post, catch up here:

Zz.
I LOVED THAT EPISODE!!!! I laffed so hard I pee'd my pants!!! :blushing:

Fervent Freyja
Gold Member
The article didn't even state why dropping a turkey out of an airplane is a tradition there. What is it supposed to mean? To ward off starvation in the upcoming winter? Appease a god or something? What are they doing it for? o_O

Likes titatos
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Being a bow hunter, I've observed wild turkeys going to roost at dusk. They're are great flyers and roost high in trees but they're not so good at landing; crashing through a lot of limbs before settling down on a roosting limb.

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
They're are great flyers and roost high in trees but they're not so good at landing; crashing through a lot of limbs before settling down on a roosting limb.
hahaha
as the old saying goes ( mainly referring to manned flight) " any landing you can walk away from is a good landing"

Dave

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff