Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dropping Turkeys Out of an Airplane

1. Oct 8, 2016 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Did you think that dropping turkeys out of an airplane was only a hilarious episode from "WKRP in Cincinnati"? (I think I just dated myself.) Think again!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...keys-from-planes-in-arkansas-continues-today/

And someone should show these people the difference between wild turkey and the domestic turkey that they grew for consumption. No one in their right mind would think that later could fly out of the blue with their fattened physiology and after being confined all their lives! Seriously!

And for those who missed my reference at the beginning of this post, catch up here:

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2016 #2
    Helicopter

4. Oct 8, 2016 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Full episode here:

"Mr Collie, we know what the humane society stands for....but Mr. Collie, a lot of turkeys don't make it through Thanksgiving."

5. Oct 8, 2016 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, but same concept. :)

Zz.

6. Oct 8, 2016 #5
    They had stop the "possum drop" on New Year's Eve, in Brasstown, NC because animal rights activists thought it scared the opossum. It was the highlight of the area.

7. Oct 8, 2016 #6

Tsu

Gold Member

I LOVED THAT EPISODE!!!! I laffed so hard I pee'd my pants!!! :blushing:

8. Oct 9, 2016 #7

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

The article didn't even state why dropping a turkey out of an airplane is a tradition there. What is it supposed to mean? To ward off starvation in the upcoming winter? Appease a god or something? What are they doing it for? o_O

9. Oct 16, 2016 #8

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Being a bow hunter, I've observed wild turkeys going to roost at dusk. They're are great flyers and roost high in trees but they're not so good at landing; crashing through a lot of limbs before settling down on a roosting limb.

10. Oct 16, 2016 #9

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hahaha
    as the old saying goes ( mainly referring to manned flight) " any landing you can walk away from is a good landing"

Dave

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted