Dropping items from an airplane.

• Thread starter PFarmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Airplane
In summary, the conversation is about dropping items from an airplane and calculating the air density, terminal velocity, and nonlinear acceleration. The speaker mentions using the DropSim on NASA GRC for calculations and their understanding of the drag equation. They also share their difficulty in finding acceleration and ask for help. The other person suggests finding the forces acting on the object, such as gravity and drag, to calculate acceleration.
PFarmer
Dropping items from an airplane.

This is real world, so think air density, terminal velocity, and nonlinear acceleration? etc…
Check out the DropSim on NASA GRC. This is exactly what I’m trying to calculate.

I have a firm grasp on D drag, Cd coefficient of drag, r air density, V velocity, A area of object.
D = Cd .5 r V^2 A

The air density equation is a little complex, involving air pressure, temperature, altitude, etc…, but I’m fairly confident in all of this because when I plug in the terminal velocity of 115 fps from the DropSim, then drag = weight. Thus acceleration is 0, and the object is at terminal velocity.

I’m dropping a 5 pound object from 1000 feet. Cd = 1.14. A = 40 in^2. r = 0.002304103.

I thought all of the above would be the hard part, but it is really just a bunch of constants and a few simple equations.

Where I’m stuck is a acceleration & d distance & maybe v velocity.
I have a lot of equations I’m working with, but I don’t want to muddy the waters. I would like fresh opinions, and/or answers. I know this is not constant acceleration. I know I’m looking for acceleration as it approaches 0; terminal velocity; drag = weight. I don’t know how to find the acceleration, and therefore, I can’t find the velocity…or the distance.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

-Paul

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to find acceleration, then you have to find the forces acting on your object. After all F = ma even for stuff dropped out of an airplane.

You know gravity is always acting, and drag is also a force. The drag is acting to retard motion, so it is changing with the trajectory of the falling object. This is where things get tricky.

1. How does air resistance affect objects dropped from an airplane?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion. As an object falls through the air, it experiences air resistance, which increases as the object's velocity increases. This ultimately results in a slower rate of acceleration and a lower terminal velocity (maximum speed) for the object.

2. Can objects survive a fall from an airplane?

It depends on the object's shape, weight, and the altitude from which it is dropped. Generally, objects that are lightweight and aerodynamic have a better chance of surviving a fall from an airplane. However, objects that are not designed to withstand high speeds and impact forces may break or shatter upon impact.

3. How do pilots ensure that objects dropped from an airplane land in a specific location?

Pilots use a variety of techniques to accurately drop objects from an airplane. These may include using GPS systems, wind measurements, and visual cues to determine the best location and time to release the objects. In some cases, pilots may also use special equipment, such as parachutes, to control the descent of the objects.

4. Is dropping objects from an airplane safe?

Dropping objects from an airplane can be dangerous and should only be done by trained professionals. There is a risk of the objects hitting people or property on the ground, as well as potential hazards for the pilot and crew. It is important to follow strict safety protocols and regulations when conducting any type of aerial dropping activity.

5. What types of objects are commonly dropped from airplanes?

Objects dropped from airplanes can range from scientific instruments and equipment to humanitarian aid supplies and military gear. Some examples include weather balloons, food and medical supplies, and cargo for remote or hard-to-reach areas. In certain circumstances, objects may also be dropped for entertainment purposes, such as parachutists or skydivers.