1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drugs for blocking human host cells

1. Nov 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The activity of drugs 1 to 5 is given as follows:
    Drug #1: blocks RNA-dependent RNA polymerases
    Drug #2: blocks DNA-dependent RNA polymerases
    Drug #3: blocks RNA-dependent DNA polymerases
    Drug #4: blocks DNA-dependent DNA polymerases
    Drug #5: blocks ribosomes
    Using this information, answer the following questions:
    a) Which of these drugs blocks human host cells? Why?
    b) Which drug is feasible to block retroviruses? Why?
    c) Which of the drugs is completely ineffective for human host cells?
    2. Relevant equations

Don't know if equation is required here.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Drug 3 would be suitable for b option since retrovirus by reverse transcriptase make DNA out of RNA.
    For a) part I am not getting what it means by human host cell here and relation.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2015 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Consider which of these activities are present in human cells. Do human cells contain RNA-dependent RNA polymerases? If so, the drug will have an effect on human host cells. If not, it will have no effect.

4. Nov 9, 2015 #3
    Human cells contain DNA dependent Dna polymerase and DNA dependent RNA polymerase. Humans also have ribosomes for producing proteins.
    So for a) correct drugs are 2,4 and 5? reason can be since they are responsible for functioning of human cellls?

5. Nov 9, 2015 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Yes, that sounds correct to me.

6. Nov 9, 2015 #5
    So c will have answer 1 and 3. since in human cell there is no activity as such and b part will only be drug 3?

7. Nov 9, 2015 #6

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

It depends by what one means by efficiency. I would not consider a ribosome inhibitors that kills human cells as an effective medicine (presumably one does not want to take drugs that will damage one's own cells). Because drugs 2, 4, and 5 have an effect on human cells, I would consider them ineffective as medicines.

8. Nov 9, 2015 #7
    No but I think the question here does not mean if the medicine is useful or not.
    My logic is that 2 ,4 and 5 will have an effect on human host cells but 1 and 3 would not be able to effect human host cell as human doesn't show properties related to drugs 1 and 3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted