Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dubaija vu: Now it's the airlines.

1. May 10, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://usinfo.state.gov/xarchives/d...9ebyessedo0.882229&t=livefeeds/wf-latest.html

I can appreciate the desire for foreign investment, but again this gets into issues of national security. And the amount invested is still limited, which really makes one wonder. In any event, what's good for the corporations is not what's important, what matters is what's best for US security.

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2006 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I thought we already came to the conclusion that xenophobia was a bad thing. This sounds like a Nazi talking-point, "foreigners need not apply".

4. May 11, 2006 #3
    What if this involved China and our airlines instead of Islamics. Would it still be a xenophobic Nazi talking-point?

5. May 11, 2006 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I do believe China is a foreign country...sooooo.....

6. May 11, 2006 #5
    China didn't have any luck with Unocal or Maytag. There must be a lot of xenophoobicals out there somewhere.:smile:

7. May 11, 2006 #6
    Oops, China did get the maintenance contract on the new Boeing 777's.

8. May 11, 2006 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay then you tell me, where is the end of the free-for-all? Which of the following should yield control to a foreign agency? Should we job out the Presidency; how about the CIA or NSA; the military; police and fire services; immigration and border control; Airport security; weapons factories; FBI? Do you agree that in some cases there can be issues of national security, or do you think that we should just hand over anything to anyone willing to pay? Do we need to demonstrate that airlines are a national security issue?

And if you compare me or anyone else here to the Nazis again you will be penalized.

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  9. May 11, 2006 #8
    Good points and something that really bothers me. With all of the outsourcing combined with foreign companies, sometimes even state owned companies, buying into U.S. industries and services, what will we have left? At what point do we just say no.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?