Dude, like, what's that white stuff?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, there was snow in Malibu and West Los Angeles while it rained and hailed in Bruintown. Some people were unprepared for the weather, but others enjoyed it and even missed a photo contest because of it. In other places like Las Vegas and Phoenix, there were also reports of snow. Some people had humorous experiences with their pets in the snow, while others were just happy to finally see some snow after a long time without it.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Wow- It was totally snowing in Malibu and in West Los Angeles today.

Here in Bruintown we just had a big rain/hailstorm and I got caught right in the middle of it. I am still soaking wet from coming back from class an hour ago. Sure glad I decided at the last minute to bring my umbrella along - could have been much worse.

Physics news on Phys.org
And you missed the photo contest. :frown:

I guess its a different kind of snow than they are used to.

Astronuc said:
And you missed the photo contest. :frown:
I wonder if it snowed on the beach? Would have made a nice photo.
I guess its a different kind of snow than they are used to.
No doubt. People were probably running outside with rolled up dollar bills.

Cool, snow in LA! A friend of mine was in Las Vegas the other day and said it snowed a little there too

Math Is Hard said:
People were probably running outside with rolled up dollar bills.

I don't get it :confused:

Math Is Hard said:
No doubt. People were probably running outside with rolled up dollar bills.

Only dollar bills? I thought you were all rich? :tongue:

Last edited:
mattmns said:
Cool, snow in LA! A friend of mine was in Las Vegas the other day and said it snowed a little there too

I don't get it :confused:

She means they thought it was an illegal substance sometimes in the form of a white powder.

Make that rolled up $100 bills.

mattmns said:

Vegas? that's unbelievable!:eek:

Winter certainly hit with a vengeance.

There was a thread in another board I visit on the same topic with almost the same title! :biggrin: Enjoy the white stuff while you can.

Too bad about what the cold weather did to our citrus, though. I'm glad I bought a crate of clementines last week.

When I moved in, either in 1997 or 1998, it snowed for about 20 minutes. It was amazing. That's snow..in PHOENIX!

20 minutes?!

I don't even remember whether my street is paved or not.

All the main roads are clear, but I still need 4 wheel drive to get to my driveway.

We finally got snow, which is almost covering the ground.

Y'all are lucky. I don't think we've had any snow this winter in Maryland. (Just a couple times in Fall)

Hurkyl said:
Y'all are lucky. I don't think we've had any snow this winter in Maryland. (Just a couple times in Fall)
LUCKY? I had to sit on my porch step (after I made it that far by pouring ice melt in front of me as I walked) and slide down on my rear end all the way to the car, then poured more ice melt around my feet so I could stand up to get into the car. :mad:

Ricco and Foofer had bounded out of the front door, hit the ice and went flying. The looks on their faces was priceless.

Evo said:
Ricco and Foofer had bounded out of the front door, hit the ice and went flying. The looks on their faces was priceless.

When we lived in Alabama our white cat used to walk almost invisibly through the deep snow. Only a glimpse of tail sticking up betrayed her.

Math Is Hard said:
When we lived in Alabama our white cat used to walk almost invisibly through the deep snow. Only a glimpse of tail sticking up betrayed her.
:rofl: Ricco stepped onto a snow drift during the last snowstorm and sank. He was not amused. It's tough being a little dog. Foofer is bigger than he is.

Hurkyl said:

I haven't seen more than inch of snow in 20 years, I really like snow too.

Evo said:
:rofl: Ricco stepped onto a snow drift during the last snowstorm and sank. He was not amused. It's tough being a little dog. Foofer is bigger than he is.

Anyone who has owned a pet, knows that an animals first experience of snow is the funniest thing you'll probably see your animal do. It's better than their first view of a mirror, cats are great on this one, although some just ignore themselves? Not technically correct but still funny :smile:

Schrodinger's Dog said:
I haven't seen more than inch of snow in 20 years, I really like snow too.

Yes we're a bit low on the snow front in the UK for a long time, especially 2006 and this year so far. Its so warm :eek:

Kurdt said:
Yes we're a bit low on the snow front in the UK for a long time, especially 2006 and this year so far. Its so warm :eek:

Warm is great I get cold induced asthma, as long as it isn't raining the warmer the better, but I still love snow.:smile: Bloody gulf stream, and El nino your not making any friends here either :frown:

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Warm is great I get cold induced asthma, as long as it isn't raining the warmer the better, but I still love snow.:smile: Bloody gulf stream, and El nino your not making any firends here either :frown:

I'm not complaining about warm but like you I'm pining for snow.

Kurdt said:
I'm not complaining about warm but like you I'm pining for snow.

Amen to that :smile:

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Anyone who has owned a pet, knows that an animals first experience of snow is the funniest thing you'll probably see your animal do. It's better than their first view of a mirror, cats are great on this one, although some just ignore themselves? Not technically correct but still funny :smile:

It's funny even after they've had experience with snow. Especially when the top of the snow gets hard and crunchy and can support their weight ... for maybe about half a second. Just long enough for them to get an expression of, "Oh, :smile: coo...ooph!" :grumpy: before their chin hits the snow.

1. What is the white stuff in my nose?

The white stuff in your nose is most likely mucus, which is produced by the mucous membranes in your nose to help trap germs and keep your nasal passages moist.

2. Why do I sometimes see white stuff on my tongue?

The white stuff on your tongue could be a buildup of bacteria, dead cells, and food debris. It can also be a sign of an oral infection or a reaction to certain medications. Consult with a doctor if you are concerned.

3. What is the white stuff that forms on my teeth?

The white stuff on your teeth is most likely plaque, a sticky film of bacteria that forms on your teeth and can lead to tooth decay and gum disease if not removed regularly through brushing and flossing.

4. Why do I have white stuff in my eyes when I wake up?

The white stuff in your eyes when you wake up is usually a combination of mucus, oil, and dead skin cells that have accumulated in the corners of your eyes overnight. It is a natural part of the eye's cleaning process.

5. Can the white stuff in my urine be a sign of a health problem?

In most cases, the white stuff in your urine is harmless and can be caused by diet, dehydration, or excess protein intake. However, it can also be a sign of a urinary tract infection or a kidney issue, so it is best to consult with a doctor if you are concerned.