Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dx and delta(x) (in partial derivative)

1. Dec 6, 2012 #1
    I have a question to ask, is dx = δx, can they cancel each other like [itex]\frac{dx}{δx}[/itex]=1
    and is it mean that:

[itex]\frac{δf}{δx}[/itex][itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{df}{dt}[/itex]?
    (f = f (x,y,z))

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm not sure what you mean with [itex]\delta x[/itex] in the first place.

4. Dec 6, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Assuming that x, y, and z are all differentiable functions of t, it does make sense to talk about df/dt, but it is not equal to $$ \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{dx}{dt}$$

For f as you have defined it,
    $$ \frac{df}{dt} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \frac{dy}{dt} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial z} \frac{dz}{dt}$$

5. Dec 6, 2012 #4
    δx mean the denominator if taking partial derivative of f wrt x. I wonder both dx and δx equal, since they both mean infinitesimal amount of x.

6. Dec 6, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Ah, ok! Usually, they denote this by ∂ instead of a delta.

But anyway, if you want to be very rigorous, then things like "dx" or "∂x" don't exist. The only thing that exists are the notations

[tex]\frac{df}{dx}~~\text{and}~~\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}.[/tex]

But these are not fractions since things like df and dx are undefined. Furthermore, notations like [itex]\frac{dx}{\partial x}[/itex] don't make sense.

That said, there is a way to give dx a rigorous meaning. There are several ways, actually. One of these ways is through nonstandard calculus. Another way is by differential forms. But I won't confuse you with these things. Just remember that if you are in a standard calculus class, then things like dx and df don't really have any meaning. They are very handy and useful notations however.

7. Dec 7, 2012 #6
    Thanks micromass :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook