Dx and delta(x) (in partial derivative)

In summary, dx and δx equal each other if and only if x is differentiable and they take the denominator if you take the partial derivative of f with respect to x.
destroyer130
I have a question to ask, is dx = δx, can they cancel each other like [itex]\frac{dx}{δx}[/itex]=1
and is it mean that:

[itex]\frac{δf}{δx}[/itex][itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{df}{dt}[/itex]?
(f = f (x,y,z))

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean with [itex]\delta x[/itex] in the first place.

destroyer130 said:
I have a question to ask, is dx = δx, can they cancel each other like [itex]\frac{dx}{δx}[/itex]=1
and is it mean that:

[itex]\frac{δf}{δx}[/itex][itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{df}{dt}[/itex]?
(f = f (x,y,z))
Assuming that x, y, and z are all differentiable functions of t, it does make sense to talk about df/dt, but it is not equal to $$ \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{dx}{dt}$$

For f as you have defined it,
$$ \frac{df}{dt} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \frac{dy}{dt} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial z} \frac{dz}{dt}$$

micromass said:
I'm not sure what you mean with [itex]\delta x[/itex] in the first place.

δx mean the denominator if taking partial derivative of f wrt x. I wonder both dx and δx equal, since they both mean infinitesimal amount of x.

destroyer130 said:
δx mean the denominator if taking partial derivative of f wrt x. I wonder both dx and δx equal, since they both mean infinitesimal amount of x.

Ah, ok! Usually, they denote this by ∂ instead of a delta.

But anyway, if you want to be very rigorous, then things like "dx" or "∂x" don't exist. The only thing that exists are the notations

[tex]\frac{df}{dx}~~\text{and}~~\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}.[/tex]

But these are not fractions since things like df and dx are undefined. Furthermore, notations like [itex]\frac{dx}{\partial x}[/itex] don't make sense.

That said, there is a way to give dx a rigorous meaning. There are several ways, actually. One of these ways is through nonstandard calculus. Another way is by differential forms. But I won't confuse you with these things. Just remember that if you are in a standard calculus class, then things like dx and df don't really have any meaning. They are very handy and useful notations however.

Thanks micromass :)

1. What is the difference between Dx and delta(x) in partial derivatives?

Dx and delta(x) both represent infinitesimal changes in the independent variable in a function. However, Dx represents a change in the entire function, while delta(x) represents a change in only one variable within the function.

2. How do you calculate Dx and delta(x) in a partial derivative?

To calculate Dx, you take the derivative of the entire function with respect to the independent variable. To calculate delta(x), you take the derivative of the function with respect to the specific variable in question.

3. What is the importance of using partial derivatives in scientific research?

Partial derivatives are important in scientific research because they allow us to analyze the rate of change of a function in relation to one specific variable while holding all other variables constant. This allows for a more accurate understanding of complex systems and relationships.

4. Can you give an example of how Dx and delta(x) are used in real-world applications?

One example is in economics, where partial derivatives are used to analyze the relationships between multiple variables, such as supply and demand, in determining market equilibrium. Another example is in physics, where partial derivatives are used to calculate the force on an object in relation to a specific variable, such as time or distance.

5. Is there a limit to the number of variables that can be used in a partial derivative?

No, there is no limit to the number of variables that can be used in a partial derivative. However, as the number of variables increases, the complexity of the derivative also increases, making it more difficult to calculate and interpret.