Question about the differential in Calculus

In summary: It's a function that maps $(1,f'(x))$ to $0$, and $(0,f'(x))$ to $1$.In summary, dy and dx are real numbers of some magnitude that are used to calculate the differential of a function. Differential geometry uses a different notation for the differential, which is a function that maps a vector.
agapito
Question about the differential in Calculus.
Assume a function y = f(x) , differentiable everywhere. Now we have for some Δx
Δy = f(x + Δx) - f(x)

The differential of x, is defined as “dx”, can be any real number, and dx = Δx

The differential of y, is defined by “dy” and
dy = f’(x) dx

Clearly,
Δy ≈ dy, depending on the magnitude of Δx.
In calculus an expression like “dx” usually denotes something infinitesimally small.
Why is it necessary to have dy and dx used as real numbers of some magnitude? In specifying and solving calculus problems are not the usual symbols sufficient?
Is it just a matter of notational convenience?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi agapito,

$\Delta x$ is any real number.
However, $dx$ is not "any real number", and it is also not a "real number of some magnitude".
Where did you get that?

Instead it is an "infinitesimally" small real number, and as such not a real number at all.
It is $\Delta x$ taken to the limit where it approaches $0$.
Put otherwise, on the real line $dx$ is smaller than any non-zero real number.
It means for instance that $\frac 1{dx}$ is greater than any real number (an infinity), and as such not real number either.

When we write $f'(x)=\frac{dy}{dx}$, this actually means $f'(x)=\lim\limits_{\Delta x\to 0} \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}$, where $\Delta y=f(x+\Delta x)-f(x)$.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your reply, Klaas.

However, $dx$ is not "any real number", and it is also not a "real number of some magnitude".
Where did you get that?

From several calculus books. The existence of a separate "infinitesimal number" system is acknowledged but generally not recommended as it intruduces many complications.

By definition of dy,

dy = f'(x) dx, where dx = Δx

The linkage between the definition for "dx" and "dy", as real numbers of any magnitude, is the expression:

(lim Δx-->0) dy = Δy, which follows from the continuity of f(x).

The above is what all books I consulted present. Having learned calculus (many years ago!) where "dx" means something infinitesimal, this treatment was confusing, the reason for my question. Do you think it worthwhile to attempt to learn about infinitesimals?

Thanks again for your interest.

agapito said:

Where did you get that?

From several calculus books. The existence of a separate "infinitesimal number" system is acknowledged but generally not recommended as it intruduces many complications.

By definition of dy,

The linkage between the definition for "dx" and "dy", as real numbers of any magnitude, is the expression:

The above is what all books I consulted present. Having learned calculus (many years ago!) where "dx" means something infinitesimal, this treatment was confusing, the reason for my question. Do you think it worthwhile to attempt to learn about infinitesimals?

One way to define dx is to take smaller and smaller \(\displaystyle \Delta x\)'s. \(\displaystyle \Delta x\) has a size... dx does not.

Now, where you will see a difference between what you are saying is to compare Experimental Physics and Mathematics. When we do an experiment then we often take \(\displaystyle dx \to \Delta x\) in order to do numerical calculations. But recognize that this introduces errors into the system.

IMHO: The infinitesimals have great value and should be understood at some point.. but usually that point is after you've studied for several years. For now I'd recommend recognizing that there is a big difference but when you think of it think of dx as a very very small \(\displaystyle \Delta x\).

-Dan

While I'm at it...

Infinitesimals are part of the so called Hyperreal numbers.
And indeed, they come with trouble, since they break down with various operations like division and subtraction.

For engineers it doesn't matter much, since they will just treat infinitesimals as "small real numbers", which works well enough in most cases.
It's mostly mathematicians that don't really accept that point of view. And there are indeed edge cases where things go wrong.

But there is yet another definition for "differentials". Let's not call them infinitesimals.
In differential geometry, a differential or push forward is defined as a function that maps a vector.
More specifically, we can choose $dx$ as a function that maps $(1,0)$ to $1$, and that maps $(0,1)$ to $0$.
In the same way, we can pick $dy$ as a function that maps $(1,0)$ to $0$, and $(0,1)$ to $1$.

Applied to your example of $dy=f'(x)dx$, the vector $(1,f'(x))$ is the tangential vector to the curve $(x,f(x))$.
The differential $dx$ is a function that maps $(1,f'(x))$ to $1$, and the differential $dy$ is a function that maps it to $f'(x)$.
Consequently we have that $dy(v) = f'(x)dx(v)$ for any vector $v$ at the point $(x,f(x))$, or $dy=f'(x)dx$ for short.

The beauty is that with this definition of differentials, the mathematical framework is valid, robust, and in particular applies to more general manifolds, like space-time.

Last edited:
topsquark said:
One way to define dx is to take smaller and smaller \(\displaystyle \Delta x\)'s. \(\displaystyle \Delta x\) has a size... dx does not.

Now, where you will see a difference between what you are saying is to compare Experimental Physics and Mathematics. When we do an experiment then we often take \(\displaystyle dx \to \Delta x\) in order to do numerical calculations. But recognize that this introduces errors into the system.

IMHO: The infinitesimals have great value and should be understood at some point.. but usually that point is after you've studied for several years. For now I'd recommend recognizing that there is a big difference but when you think of it think of dx as a very very small \(\displaystyle \Delta x\).

-Dan
Thanks for your guidance, Dan.

Klaas van Aarsen said:
While I'm at it...

And indeed, they come with trouble, since they break down with various operations like division and subtraction.

For engineers it doesn't matter much, since they will just treat infinitesimals as "small real numbers", which works well enough in most cases.
It's mostly mathematicians that don't really accept that point of view. And there are indeed edge cases where things go wrong.

But there is yet another definition for "differentials". Let's not call them infinitesimals.
In differential geometry, a differential or push forward is defined as a function that maps a vector.
More specifically, we can choose $dx$ as a function that maps $(1,0)$ to $1$, and that maps $(0,1)$ to $0$.
In the same way, we can pick $dy$ as a function that maps $(1,0)$ to $0$, and $(0,1)$ to $1$.

Applied to your example of $dy=f'(x)dx$, the vector $(1,f'(x))$ is the tangential vector to the curve $(x,f(x))$.
The differential $dx$ is a function that maps $(1,f'(x))$ to $1$, and the differential $dy$ is a function that maps it to $f'(x)$.
Consequently we have that $dy(v) = f'(x)dx(v)$ for any vector $v$ at the point $(x,f(x))$, or $dy=f'(x)dx$ for short.

The beauty is that with this definition of differentials, the mathematical framework is valid, robust, and in particular applies to more general manifolds, like space-time.

Thanks. Unfortunately I cannot read your reply due to format of algebraic expressions. Is there any way to correct this so they display in "normal" format?

agapito said:
Thanks. Unfortunately I cannot read your reply due to format of algebraic expressions. Is there any way to correct this so they display in "normal" format?
What do you mean?
Is there a problem rendering formulas on the device you're using?

Klaas van Aarsen said:
While I'm at it...

Klaas van Aarsen said:
What do you mean?
Is there a problem rendering formulas on the device you're using?
Yes, They are read as "$(1,f'(x))$ to $1$", for example. I'm reading them in my Windows computer. Is there some way around this? Thanks

agapito said:

Where did you get that?

By definition of dy,

I have seen many Calulus and analysis texts and NONE of them have said that! I suspect you have misunderstood. "Real Analysis" by George Thomas (old but my favorite) defines dy= f'(x)dx and does NOT define dx as equal $\Delta x$ but just a s symbol representing an infinitesmal change in x. Both dy and dx are purely symbolic and cannot appear alone, either in an equation together or in an integral.

1. What is the differential in Calculus?

The differential in Calculus is a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function. It is often denoted by the symbol "dx" and is used to calculate the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. How is the differential related to derivatives?

The differential is closely related to derivatives in Calculus. In fact, the derivative of a function is defined as the limit of the ratio of the change in the function's output (y) to the change in its input (x), which is essentially the differential.

3. What is the difference between the differential and the derivative?

While the differential and the derivative are closely related, there is a key difference between them. The differential represents the change in the output of a function for a specific change in the input, whereas the derivative represents the overall rate of change of the function.

4. How is the differential used in real-world applications?

The differential is used in many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used to model and analyze the rate of change of physical quantities, such as velocity and acceleration, in various systems.

5. Can you provide an example of how the differential is used in Calculus?

One example of how the differential is used in Calculus is in finding the maximum or minimum values of a function. By setting the differential equal to zero and solving for the input value, we can determine the critical points of the function, which can then be used to find the maximum or minimum values.