Dynamics of Rotational Motion: Quarry Crane Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a simplified model of a quarry crane and the tensions in three different ropes attached to it. The solution for T3 is mg, for T2 is mgsin(∏-2θ)/sin(θ), and the solution for T1 is [mgsin(2θ)] / cos(ϕ). The question has been discussed and answered on various online forums.
Creepypunguy

Homework Statement

KDjTQr4.png

A quarry crane is used to lift massive rocks from a quarry pit. Consider the simplified model of such a crane shown in the figure. (Figure 1) The ends of two poles are anchored to the ground at the same point (point O). From this point, one pole rises vertically and the second pole rises at an angle. The vertical pole has its free end connected to the ground via an unstretchable, massless rope labeled rope 1. A second rope, labeled rope 2, connects the free ends of the two poles. The angle between the tilted pole and rope 2 is θ. Both poles have length L and can be considered massless for the purposes of this problem. Hanging from the end of the second pole, via rope 3, is a granite block of mass m.

Throughout this problem use g for the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity.
Part A) Find T3, the tension in rope 3.
Express your answer in terms of some (or all) of the following quantities: ∏, m, g, L, θ, and ϕ.

Part B) Find T2, the tension in rope 2.
Express the tension in terms of some (or all) of the following quantities: ∏, m, g, L, θ, and ϕ.

Part C) Find T1, the tension in rope 1.
Express the tension in terms of some (or all) of the following quantities: m, g, L, θ, and ϕ.

Figure 1:
pigW2fy.png

Homework Equations

τ1=F1*l1
τ2=F2*l2
τ3=F3*l3
Ʃτ1,2,3 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A) Correct- T3 = mg

Part B) Correct- T2 = mgsin(∏-2θ)/sin(θ)

Part C) Incorrect -
I know that the torque of rope 1 on the vertical pole in relation to the origin is τ1=T1*L*cos(ϕ)
In my attempt I used the previously found values T2, and for l I used L*sin(2θ).
Combining these I found
τ2 = -Lmgsin(2θ)2/sin(θ) ;
setting Ʃτ = 0, so τ1 = τ2, solving for T1 yields
T1 = mg(sin(2θ))2/sin(θ)cos(ϕ);
Originally I had used the value of (∏-2θ) rather than 2θ, but since the problem is the only one that does not call for the quantity of ∏, I replaced it with 2θ. I've been told it's incorrect, and it is not a problem with signs. I think I may be having a problem finding the moment arm with my geometry for the torque of rope 2, or may just be combining the equations incorrectly. I assumed that T2 would be usable.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

p.s. This problem has been posted and discussed on various places online, however none of them seem to go into the third part of the problem to find T1.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would have thought the horizontal component of T1 would simply have to match the horizontal component of T2

Check your trigonometry and mak sure to fuly simplify. You have the right equation, just remember, that when you divide sinθ^2/sinθ, you are left with just sinθ in the numerator. The correct,simplified, answer would be T1=[mgsin(2theta)] / cos(ϕ)

LOL this question was asked in 2013 and you're getting an answer in 2015. Same questions still going around and messing everyone's minds!

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or point. It occurs when a force is applied to an object causing it to rotate.

2. What is the quarry crane problem?

The quarry crane problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the rotational motion of a crane lifting a load from a quarry. It requires understanding of torque, rotational inertia, and conservation of energy.

3. How do you calculate torque?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The unit of torque is Newton-meters (Nm).

4. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to change in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass of the object and its distribution from the axis of rotation.

5. How is conservation of energy applied in the quarry crane problem?

In the quarry crane problem, the conservation of energy principle is applied by equating the initial potential energy of the load with the final kinetic energy of the load when it reaches the desired height. This allows us to solve for the unknown variables, such as the torque required to lift the load.