Dynamics: rogid bodies force and acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving moments and rotational motion. The student is attempting to solve for angular acceleration using the moment about point A, but the solution uses the moment about point G. The conversation also clarifies the use of the formula for parallel axis theorem.
etotheix

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/1063/1763o.jpg

Homework Equations

[itex]IG = (1/12)ml^2[/itex]
[itex]\sum Ma=(IG+m(rG)^2)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I take the moment about A, which gives me the following:
[itex](4kg)(9.81m/s^2)(1m)=((1/12)(4kg)(2m)^2+(4kg)(1m)^2)\alpha[/itex]
[itex]\alpha = 7.3575 rad/s^2[/itex]

But in the solutions they have: [itex]\alpha = 14.7 rad/s^2[/itex], which is 2 times more. They are taking the moment about G, using [itex]Fa = (1/2)(4kg)(9.81m/s^2)[/itex]. Why does it yield a different answer? The way I do it must be wrong, but I don't see why.

Also they have [itex](aG)y = 4.905m/s^2[/itex], but I though that [itex](aG)y = rG*\alpha[/itex], and [itex]rG = 1m[/itex] in this case, so [itex](aG)y[/itex] must be equal to [itex]\alpha[/itex]

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Honestly, I don't understand this formula:
[itex]\sum Ma=(IG+m(rG)^2)[/itex]

hi etotheix! :smile:
etotheix said:
I take the moment about A …

no, you can't do that, the Iω formula for https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=313" about either the centre of mass or the centre of rotation …

A is neither :redface:

(because A will start accelerating upwards as soon as the string is cut)
Also … I though that [itex](aG)y = rG*\alpha[/itex], and [itex]rG = 1m[/itex] in this case, so [itex](aG)y[/itex] must be equal to [itex]\alpha[/itex]

no, a = rα assumes that r is the distance to the centre of rotation, and (again) that isn't A, so it isn't :wink:

you'll need to use the https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=189" force, before and after (just call it F)
Quinzio said:
Honestly, I don't understand this formula:
[itex]\sum Ma=(IG+m(rG)^2)
[/itex]

it's the parallel axis theorem in disguise :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much tiny-tim! It is very clear now.

Your approach to finding the angular acceleration is correct, but the mistake you made is in the calculation of the moment of inertia (IG). In your calculation, you used the formula for the moment of inertia of a thin rod rotating about its end (IG = (1/12)ml^2), but in this problem, the rod is rotating about its center of mass (point G). Therefore, the correct formula to use for the moment of inertia is IG = (1/12)ml^2 + mr^2, where r is the distance from the center of mass to the end of the rod. In this case, r = 1m, so the correct formula becomes IG = (1/12)(4kg)(2m)^2 + (4kg)(1m)^2 = 5/3 kgm^2. Using this value for IG in your calculation will give you the correct answer of 14.7 rad/s^2.

As for the value of (aG)y, it is indeed equal to rG*\alpha, but in this case, rG is not equal to 1m. Since the rod is rotating about its center of mass, rG is equal to half the length of the rod, which is 1m. Therefore, (aG)y = (1m)(7.3575 rad/s^2) = 7.3575 m/s^2, which is the same as the value in the solutions.

In summary, the mistake you made was using the wrong formula for the moment of inertia. Make sure to always check which point the object is rotating about before using a formula for the moment of inertia.

1. What is the difference between force and acceleration?

Force is a physical quantity that causes a change in the motion of an object. It is measured in Newtons (N). Acceleration, on the other hand, is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How do you calculate the net force on a rigid body?

The net force on a rigid body can be calculated by adding up all the individual forces acting on the body, taking into account their direction and magnitude. This can be represented mathematically as Fnet = ΣF, where Fnet is the net force and ΣF is the sum of all the forces.

3. What is the relationship between torque and angular acceleration?

Torque is the measure of how much a force acting on an object causes it to rotate. Angular acceleration is the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes. The relationship between torque and angular acceleration is given by the equation τ = Iα, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration.

4. Can a rigid body have zero acceleration?

Yes, a rigid body can have zero acceleration if the net force and net torque acting on it are both zero. This means that the body is either at rest or moving with a constant velocity.

5. How does the distribution of mass affect the dynamics of a rigid body?

The distribution of mass in a rigid body affects its dynamics in several ways. It affects the moment of inertia, which determines how much torque is needed to rotate the body. It also affects the body's center of mass, which is the point where all the body's mass can be considered to be concentrated. The location of the center of mass affects how the body responds to external forces and torques.