1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E-Field in Hollow Polarized Dielectric

1. Sep 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the electric field intensity at the center of a small spherical cavity cut out of a large block of dielectric in which a polarization P exists.

3. The attempt at a solution
    charge densitysurface = P(dot)n --> charge densitysurface = P(dot)r

This is about as far as I've gotten... My problem is I've never dealt with a non-uniform charge distribution before. My first goal was to find the surface charge around the sphere, but the polarization makes it such that it's non-uniform. I've assumed that the dielectric is polarized in the positive-z direction, which puts a concentration of negative charges at the top of the sphere and a concentration of positive charges at the bottom. My professor recommended using a sin() function to integrate over the sphere (positive->neutral->negative->neutral->repeat), but I don't really know how to fit this into a surface integral. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2008 #2
    The material is a dialectric. I don't think it's to be supposed that there is surface charge.
  4. Sep 26, 2008 #3
    There actually i s surface charge - picture a surface of thin dielectric in the xy-plane. If you polarize the whole thing with an e-field in the z-direction, the dipoles at the top of the plane will have their positive charges pointing up (giving a positive surface charge). Likewise, the bottom will have a negative surface charge. This case is tricky, because it's a sphere, so there's a smooth transition around the surface that goes sinusoidally. The professor has actually solved the problem since I first posted the problem, so I'll post a solution later for anybody who's interested.
  5. Oct 6, 2010 #4
    I'd love to see that solution.
  6. Oct 6, 2010 #5
    Haha - so, I've graduated since I originally posted this problem a couple years ago, but I actually just pulled out a box of old schoolwork to sort through. If I can find the solution, I'll post it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?