E^(i[itex]\omega[/itex]t) question

• Thread starter lonewolf219
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the notation and mapping of the function x(t)=e^(i\omegat), also known as Euler's equation, which maps ℝ×ℝ to ℂ. It is clarified that the function does not map complex numbers to real numbers, but rather the other way around, assuming ω and t are real. The concept of the complex unit circle in the complex plane is also mentioned.
lonewolf219
x(t)=e^(i[itex]\omega[/itex]t)

Is this the correct notation to define this function?

f:C[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]R

Does this exponential function take a complex element from the set C and assign to it a real element from the set R?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's the other way around assuming that ω and t are real. ##f(\omega,t) = e^{i\omega t}## maps ℝ×ℝ to ℂ. (Specifically, to the complex unit circle rather than ℂ in general.)

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the replies! D H, is the complex unit circle in the complex plane, meaning that the x-axis is the real number line and the y-axis is the imaginary number line?

lonewolf219 said:
Thanks for the replies! D H, is the complex unit circle in the complex plane, meaning that the x-axis is the real number line and the y-axis is the imaginary number line?

yes.

Thanks mathman

dont for get to thank people via the thanks button

Likes 1 person
Ok, thanks for mentioning that jedishrfu

1. What is the meaning of "E^(i[itex]\omega[/itex]t)"?

"E^(i[itex]\omega[/itex]t)" is a mathematical expression known as the complex exponential function. It represents a complex number that is raised to the power of "i[itex]\omega[/itex]t", where "i" is the imaginary unit and "[itex]\omega[/itex]" is the frequency of the oscillation. This expression is commonly used in signal processing and electrical engineering to describe oscillating phenomena.

2. What does the "i" in "E^(i[itex]\omega[/itex]t)" stand for?

The "i" in "E^(i[itex]\omega[/itex]t)" represents the imaginary unit, which is defined as the square root of -1. In this expression, it is used to indicate the presence of an imaginary component in the complex number being raised to a power.

3. How is "E^(i[itex]\omega[/itex]t)" related to sine and cosine functions?

The complex exponential function "E^(i[itex]\omega[/itex]t)" is closely related to the trigonometric functions sine and cosine. In fact, it can be expressed as a combination of these functions using Euler's formula: E^(i[itex]\omega[/itex]t) = cos([itex]\omega[/itex]t) + i*sin([itex]\omega[/itex]t). This relationship is important in understanding the behavior of oscillating systems.

4. What is the significance of "[itex]\omega[/itex]" in "E^(i[itex]\omega[/itex]t)"?

The symbol "[itex]\omega[/itex]" in "E^(i[itex]\omega[/itex]t)" represents the angular frequency of the oscillation. It is a measure of how fast the complex number is rotating in the complex plane. The value of "[itex]\omega[/itex]" is closely related to the frequency of the oscillation in physical systems.

5. How is "E^(i[itex]\omega[/itex]t)" used in scientific research?

The complex exponential function "E^(i[itex]\omega[/itex]t)" is used in a wide range of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is particularly useful in describing oscillating phenomena, such as waves, vibrations, and electrical signals. It is also used in the analysis and modeling of complex systems, such as quantum mechanics and signal processing.