1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Each Car has Speed Corresponding to Max Normal Acceleration. Find Time Elasped

1. Feb 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The two cars A and B enter an unbanked and level turn. They cross line C-C simultaneously, and each car has the speed corresponding to a maximum normal acceleration of 0.94g in the turn. Determine the elapsed time for each car between its two crossings of line C-C. What is the relative position of the two cars as the second car exits the turn? Assume no speed changes throughout.

I have attached an image of the question.

2. Relevant equations

an = v2/ρ = rθ'2 = vθ'

v = rθ'

3. The attempt at a solution

I' honestly not sure how to start this one. I know an = 0.94g = 9.2214 m/s2

I was thinking of something along the lines:

v = rθ' = r dθ/dt

∫v dt = ∫r dθ

vt = rθ

t = rθ/v

I'm not sure if what I have here makes sense. But if it does, could I substitute v for ds/dt, where ds/dt would be the circumference of the half circle?

Honestly,I'm not sure if what I have makes sense. Any input/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2013 #2
    Determine the speed of each vehicle from the formula V^2/r=a. Knowing the speed of each, determine the elapsed time for each vehicle to travel the distance realizing the distances differ. Then determine distance between vehicles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook