1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earnings of physicsist, and best places for research

1. Jun 18, 2007 #1
    Is there anybody who know how much a physic can earn and where is the best most payed place to work as a researcher?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A physic in the sense of a Medæval word for doctor - not much you generally get paid in leeches.
    A physicist on the other hand depends what work you do!
    Top salary is probably as a 'quant' on Wall street should make a few 100,00 post-doc is probably the lowest professional salary.
    Generally you should make about the same as other engineering professionals in industry.

The best place to work depends on you.
    I have enjoyed being at world class institutions making the first measuremen of X - where you get a Natue cover story. But I also like being the 'brains' guy at a small startup technology company where I'm the one people come to asking 'is it possible to do X'.

4. Jun 18, 2007 #3
    no, i meant in which country a physicist can easily find a well payed job . I am form Italy and here the situation is not very good. So i was considering to go abroad to work but i don't know where i should look for a better situation ..

5. Jun 18, 2007 #4
    in Portugal of course XD...i'm kiddin....maybe in the US or in the northern European states

6. Jun 18, 2007 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry misunderstood -
    Most european countries are fairly similair - fewer industrial / technical jobs and more service / IT / banking.
    You speak english so the UK is probably a good start, Cambridge is probably worth looking at at. Or you could move to Milan/Turino - lots of high tech industry and you still get to eat decent food!
    If you are a recent graduate then graduate training schemes from multinational employers are probably easiest - if you have some years of experience try a recruitment agency.
    The USA is more difficult because of visa requirements (look into H1B), probably only practical if you work for a multinational and are transferred.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?