Earth and moon barycenter question.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of barycenter and how it relates to the orbits of Earth and the Moon. It is explained that both bodies orbit around the barycenter, not each other, and shifting the mass around can change the position of the barycenter. It is also mentioned that the choice of origin for the coordinate system does not affect the calculations.
Mr. Krang
I was just reading about the barycenter of bodies in space. My question might not make sense but, if we sent hundreds of thousands (or millions) of spacecraft to the moon filled with dirt and rocks could we change the barycenter enough for the Earth to orbit the moon? I know this is a huge leap in logic but I just want to make sure I understand the way this works even if the example is absurd and unlikely.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Both the Earth and the Moon orbit their barycenter, not each other. What you're proposing would just shift the barycenter towards the Moon. In effect, yes, the Earth would orbit the Moon as it is commonly known.

That's what I meant to say. So increasing the moons mass while decreasing the Earth's would change the barycenter? I just needed it dumbed down since the article I was reading used a lot of technical terms and this is my way of simplifying it.

That's right. Shifting the mass around would change the position of the barycenter.

Interestingly, the orbital mechanics of two bodies (say Earth and Moon) rotating around the barycentre can be analysed either about the barycentre, the centre of mass of the system, in which case they both orbit in ellipses in which the barycentre is at one of the foci of each ellipse,
or around the greater mass (Earth), in which case the Moon orbits around the Earth on an ellipse with the Earth at one focus,
or around the lesser mass (Moon) in which case the Earth orbits around the Moon on an ellipse with the Moon at one focus.

You can take your pick as to the origin of your coordinates, whichever is the most convenient.

So both the Earth and Moon can be said to orbit around the barycentre, or the Moon can be said to orbit around the Earth, or the Earth can be said to orbit around the Moon! And all that without sending any "hundreds of thousands (or millions) of spacecraft to the moon filled with dirt and rocks"!

Garth

Likes wabbit
Basic two body calculations, see the attached sheet.

Attachments

• 2 body data sheet.docx
    83 KB · Views: 245
The answers above are correct, I would just add that for one body to be said to be orbiting the other, the barycenter has to be above the surface of the larger world. Christian

ChristianHaerle said:
The answers above are correct, I would just add that for one body to be said to be orbiting the other, the barycenter has to be above the surface of the larger world. Christian
Why?

It is just a matter of where you choose to put the origin of your coordinate system: at the barycentre itself, or at the centres of mass of either body - it doesn't matter - Newton and Kepler do just fine, but to keep things simple choose the barycentre.

Garth

ChristianHaerle said:

That just isn't true. If the larger world has a spherical mass distribution, it acts just like a point mass. If the larger world doesn't have a spherical mass distribution, you don't get Keplerian orbits.
Garth said:
Why?

It is just a matter of where you choose to put the origin of your coordinate system: at the barycentre itself, or at the centres of mass of either body - it doesn't matter - Newton and Kepler do just fine, but to keep things simple choose the barycentre.

To keep things simple it's best to look at things from the perspective of a frame in which one of the orbiting bodies is stationary. This is the reduced mass formulation that is found in most upper level undergraduate and graduate level texts on classical mechanics. Proving that the other body's orbit about the fixed body is a conic section is non-trivial. Showing that this in turn results in both bodies orbiting in conic sections about the barycenter is even more non-trivial.

1. What is the Earth and moon barycenter?

The Earth and moon barycenter is the common center of mass or balance point between the Earth and the moon. It is the point around which both bodies orbit each other.

2. How is the Earth and moon barycenter calculated?

The Earth and moon barycenter is calculated using the mass and distance of the Earth and moon from each other. The larger the mass and closer the distance of one body compared to the other, the closer the barycenter will be to that body.

3. Does the Earth and moon barycenter change over time?

Yes, the Earth and moon barycenter can change over time due to factors such as changes in the mass or distance of either body, or external gravitational influences from other celestial bodies.

4. What is the significance of the Earth and moon barycenter?

The Earth and moon barycenter is significant because it helps scientists study the dynamics of the Earth and moon system. It also plays a role in the tides on Earth, as the barycenter's movement affects the strength and location of the tidal bulge.

5. Can the Earth and moon barycenter affect Earth's orbit?

Yes, the Earth and moon barycenter can have a small effect on Earth's orbit. However, the barycenter is still within Earth's center of gravity, so the effect is minimal and does not significantly alter Earth's orbit around the sun.