Earthquake distance to seismograph

• Thread starter Hypnos_16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earthquake
In summary, when an earthquake occurs, two types of sound waves are generated, the primary (P) wave with a speed of 7.87 km/s and the secondary (S) wave with a speed of 4.86 km/s. Using a seismograph located at a distance from the earthquake, it takes 76.8 seconds for the S wave to arrive after the P wave. By solving for the distance (d) using the time difference (Δt) between the arrivals of the P and S waves, the seismograph is located at a distance of approximately 975.9 km from the earthquake.
Hypnos_16

Homework Statement

When an earthquake occurs, two types of sound waves are generated and travel through the earth. The primary, or P, wave has a speed of about 7.87 km/s and the secondary, or S, wave has a speed of about 4.86 km/s. A seismograph, located some distance away, records the arrival of the P wave and then, 76.8 s later, records the arrival of the S wave. Assuming that the waves travel in a straight line, how far is the seismograph from the earthquake?

Pwave = 7.87km/s OR 7870m/s
Swave = 4.86km/s OR 4860m/s

Homework Equations

I don't think there's an equation specifically for this, if there is, i haven't got it yet

The Attempt at a Solution

I've figured out that when the pwave reaches the station it takes 76.8s for the swave to get there. So the distance at that point is 373.248km or 373248m. But i can't get the distance that it took before then.

Pwave--------------------------------------------| Station
Swave------------|_______________________| Station
x 373,248m

I tried to make it easier to understand, i can't find the distance "x", i know it traveled some distance before getting to the station i just don't know how to find that.
Someone help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose an earthquake occurs at some distance d from the station. How long before the P wave arrives? Write an expression for it. Call that tp. Do the same for the S wave, and call that time ts. Now do something clever with the time difference.

gneill said:
Suppose an earthquake occurs at some distance d from the station. How long before the P wave arrives? Write an expression for it. Call that tp. Do the same for the S wave, and call that time ts. Now do something clever with the time difference.

soooo, something like that? but what can i do with that?

tp = d / 7.87m/s
ts = d / 4.86m/s

It's probably easier to work symbolically so that there aren't a lot of decimal places cluttering up the thought processes. You've written:

tp = d/vp
ts = d/vs

These are the arrival times for the P and S waves from an even that occurs at an assumed t0 = 0 seconds at distance d.

Now, the information that the seismograph station has to work with is the difference in arrival times. Can you write that equation?

tp = d/vp
ts + 76.8 = d/vs

something like that?

Don't plug in any values yet. Work symbolically. Write an expression for the time difference between the arrivals, Δt.

gneill said:
Don't plug in any values yet. Work symbolically. Write an expression for the time difference between the arrivals, Δt.

okay,

Tp = d/vp
Ts + ΔT = d/vs

so something like that then?

Why didn't you use the expression you obtained for ts? You're losing ground!

Δt = ?

gneill said:
Why didn't you use the expression you obtained for ts? You're losing ground!

Δt = ?

Δt = 76.8 seconds, the time between when the p wave arrives at the station and then when the s wave arrives.

You're plugging in numbers again. Write the expression for Δt in terms of the expressions for ts and tp.

Δt =Ts - Tp

Something more like that?

Hypnos_16 said:
Δt =Ts - Tp

Something more like that?

Yes, now substitute your expressions for ts and tp.

gneill said:
Yes, now substitute your expressions for ts and tp.

Δt =Ts - Tp
Δt =d/vs - d/vp
Δt =d(vp - vs) / vs - vp

and come up with something like that i imagine.

Something like that. But your last line is not correct.

Δt = d/vs - d/vp
Δt = d*(1/vs - 1/vp)
Δt = d*(vs*vp)/(vp - vs)

So now you can solve for d, right?

gneill said:
Something like that. But your last line is not correct.

Δt = d/vs - d/vp
Δt = d*(1/vs - 1/vp)
Δt = d*(vs*vp)/(vp - vs)

So now you can solve for d, right?

wouldn't you just go

Δt = d/vs - d/vp
Δt = d*(1/vs - 1/vp)
Δt = d*(vs*vp)/(vp - vs)
∆t * (vp - vs) / (vs * vp) = d
?

but that only gives like 6km, so, I'm thinking that isn't how you do it...

Hypnos_16 said:
wouldn't you just go

Δt = d/vs - d/vp
Δt = d*(1/vs - 1/vp)
Δt = d*(vs*vp)/(vp - vs)
∆t * (vp - vs) / (vs * vp) = d
?

but that only gives like 6km, so, I'm thinking that isn't how you do it...

Sorry, my mistake... sometimes I type faster than I think...:redface:

Δt = d/vs - d/vp
Δt = d*(1/vs - 1/vp)
Δt = d*(vp - vs)/(vs*vp)
d = Δt*(vs*vp)/(vp - vs)

Happens to me all the time. No worries

So i got the whole thing to be

Tp = d/vp
Ts = d/vs
∆T = Ts - Tp
∆T = (d/vs) - (d/vp)
∆T = d*(1 / vs - 1 / vp)
∆T = d*(vp - vs) / (vs*vp)
d = ∆T*(vs*vp) / (vp - vs)
d = (76.8)(4.86*7.87) / (7.87 - 4.86)
d = 975.9km

which seems like a more likely answer than 6.

1. How is the distance to a seismograph measured during an earthquake?

The distance to a seismograph is typically measured using the time difference between the arrival of the primary waves (P-waves) and the secondary waves (S-waves). P-waves are the fastest waves and arrive first, followed by the slower S-waves. By measuring the time difference between the two, scientists can calculate the distance from the seismograph to the earthquake's epicenter.

2. Why is it important to determine the distance to a seismograph during an earthquake?

Determining the distance to a seismograph during an earthquake is important because it helps scientists accurately locate the earthquake's epicenter. By knowing the exact location, scientists can better understand the earthquake's magnitude and potential impact on surrounding areas.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of measuring the distance to a seismograph?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of measuring the distance to a seismograph during an earthquake. These include the quality and sensitivity of the seismograph, the distance between the seismograph and the earthquake's epicenter, and any interference or noise that may be present in the data.

4. How can the distance to a seismograph be used to predict the intensity of an earthquake?

The distance to a seismograph can be used in conjunction with other data, such as the earthquake's magnitude, to predict the intensity of an earthquake in a certain area. The closer a seismograph is to the epicenter, the stronger the shaking will be. By analyzing the distance and magnitude data, scientists can make more accurate predictions about the potential impact of an earthquake.

5. Is there a maximum distance that a seismograph can accurately measure during an earthquake?

There is no maximum distance that a seismograph can accurately measure during an earthquake, as long as the instrument is sensitive enough to detect the seismic waves. However, the further away the seismograph is from the epicenter, the weaker the seismic waves will be, and the more difficult it may be to accurately measure the distance. In some cases, multiple seismographs may be used to triangulate the earthquake's epicenter and improve accuracy.