Earth's Energy Balance: Calculating Albedo, Absorptivity, and Emissivity

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
il27

Homework Statement


Use the data in the energy balance diagram for the Earth shown below to determine numerical values for α, a and e. Assess your results by comparing them to the commonly used approximations α = 0.3, a = 0 and e = 1. Show your calculations.

Homework Equations


Look at the the screenshot that says equations and then the actual numbers for the energy balance model are in the second screenshot that says Energy numbers.

The Attempt at a Solution


I am just confused on which numbers I should plug into what to find the albedo, a, and e. I know F0/4 might be 341, but I am not sure how to correspond which number to which equation, etc.
 
Attachments
  • Equations.png
    Equations.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 599
  • Energy numbers.png
    Energy numbers.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 584
Physics news on Phys.org
il27 said:
not sure how to correspond which number to which equation
So post an attempt and someone will check it.