Easy Physics P=mv momentum (please answer)

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for momentum, P=mv, and how to rearrange it to solve for mass. It is then applied to a specific example. The questions raised include the relationship between momentum, velocity, and mass and the accuracy of a conclusion drawn from doubling the momentum while keeping the velocity constant. The expert provides an answer and clarifies that there is actually an increase in mass in this scenario.
Gorn
Hello..

P = MV is the equation for momentum...in order to get the mass a rearrange the equation

such that it looks like this: M = P/V now as an example let's suppose P = 10 and V = 10

So..for example I get M = 10/10
M = 1kg

Questions: What are the 'terms' for momentum and velocity in this equation?

Lets suppose for argument sake that I double the momentum so P = 20 & V =10.

I then come to a conclusion that I do not believe is accurate that if I increase the momentum of an object but not its velocity at the same time I have a decrease in mass ..in this case of 1/2 kilogram? Is that accurate?

Am I correct in assuming that if there is an increase in momentum there is a direct and corresponding increase in velocity?

Is it accurate to conlude that no matter what the increase in momentum there is NO increase in mass?
Thanks for any and all answers
Bye

Physics news on Phys.org
Gorn said:
Lets suppose for argument sake that I double the momentum so P = 20 & V =10.

I then come to a conclusion that I do not believe is accurate that if I increase the momentum of an object but not its velocity at the same time I have a decrease in mass ..in this case of 1/2 kilogram? Is that accurate?

But you have an increase in mass, m=20/10=2kg. Which is what you would expect.

Hello there,

In this equation, P stands for momentum and V stands for velocity. Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, taking into account both its mass and velocity. Velocity, on the other hand, is the rate of change of an object's position over time. So, in the equation P=mv, the terms represent momentum and velocity, respectively.

In your example, if you double the momentum (P=20) while keeping the velocity constant (V=10), the mass would still be 1 kg. This is because the equation shows that momentum is directly proportional to mass and velocity, so if one increases while the other stays constant, the mass will also stay constant. In other words, if the momentum increases, it must be due to an increase in either mass or velocity, or both.

You are correct in assuming that an increase in momentum will result in a corresponding increase in velocity. This is because momentum is directly proportional to velocity, so an increase in one will result in an increase in the other.

It is not accurate to conclude that an increase in momentum will always result in an increase in mass. As mentioned before, momentum is directly proportional to both mass and velocity. So, an increase in momentum could be due to an increase in velocity, without any change in mass.

I hope this helps clarify the concepts of momentum and velocity in the equation P=mv. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Have a great day!

1. What is the formula for calculating momentum?

The formula for calculating momentum is P = m x v, where P represents momentum, m represents mass, and v represents velocity.

2. How is momentum related to an object's mass and velocity?

Momentum is directly proportional to both an object's mass and its velocity. This means that as either the mass or velocity increases, so does the momentum.

3. Can momentum be negative?

Yes, momentum can be negative. This occurs when an object is moving in the opposite direction of its velocity, resulting in a negative value for momentum.

4. What are the units for momentum?

The units for momentum are kg*m/s, which represents kilogram-meters per second.

5. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum before an interaction or event is equal to the total momentum after the interaction or event. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.