Angular Momentum Problem: Torque after fall

In summary, the problem asks you to find the angular momentum of an object that has fallen 9.8 meters in 19 seconds. You calculate the change in angular momentum, but get the wrong answer because you aren't supposed to multiply by the time.
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
Torque=change in angular momentum
I know how to get to the answer but that's what is confusing me.

To find final velocity I multiply the acceleration by the time the object fell.

Then multiply the velocity by the mass to get momentum.

Now the angular momentum is r x p.

Since the initial angular momentum was 0, this was also the change in angular momentum.

The problem is that to solve this youre not suppose to multiply by the time. You are suppose to do r*a*d*m to get the answer (599.56).

Why don't I need the momentum to find the angular momentum here??

Attachments

• Question.PNG
    Question.PNG
    11.1 KB · Views: 100
Physics news on Phys.org
Torque=rate of change in angular momentum w.r.t. time.
It is also ## \vec{r} \times \vec{F} ##, where the ## \times ## is a vector cross product.
## m \cdot a \cdot d ## should be the correct answer, where ## a=9.8 m/sec^2 ##. I don't get an ## r ## in the product.
We, as homework helpers, generally aren't supposed to give the answer, but this one is almost one that involves a definition. Meanwhile, vector cross products may not have been covered yet in your coursework.

The problem gives you a lot of extra detail, but really doesn't give you much direction in how to solve it.

Charles Link said:
Torque=rate of change in angular momentum w.r.t. time.
It is also ## \vec{r} \times \vec{F} ##, where the ## \times ## is a vector cross product.
## m \cdot a \cdot d ## should be the correct answer, where ## a=9.8 m/sec^2 ##. I don't get an ## r ## in the product.
We, as homework helpers, generally aren't supposed to give the answer, but this one is almost one that involves a definition. Meanwhile, vector cross products may not have been covered yet in your coursework.
Yeah I meant d.

So torque here would be d x force of gravity.

But isn't torque also the change in angular momentum? Why does calculating the change in angular momentum give the wrong answer?

The torque multiplied by the time will give the change in angular momentum.
Unless my arithmetic is off, they don't have ## h=at^2/2 ##, where ## a=9.8 ##.
I get that ## t \approx 19 ## seconds, when it hits the ground.
Maybe they wanted you to simply conclude that at ## t=15.8 ## seconds, the object hadn't reached the ground yet.
In any case, the problem could be a little more clear to the reader, especially when I think it is supposed to be for a first year student.

JoeyBob said:
torque here would be d x force of gravity.
Yes.
JoeyBob said:
isnt torque also the change in angular momentum?
No. A change in angular momentum is still an angular momentum, just as a change in velocity is dimensionally a velocity, not an acceleration.
Charles Link said:
Maybe they wanted you to simply conclude that at t=15.8 seconds, the object hadn't reached the ground yet.
It asks for the torque due to gravity, so whether it has hit the ground is irrelevant. I think they are just leaving open the possibility that the torque varies with time ("##\tau(t)##"), and it is up to the student to figure out that it doesn't.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is angular momentum and how does it relate to torque after a fall?

Angular momentum is a measure of the amount of rotational motion an object possesses. It is calculated by multiplying the object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity. In the case of a fall, the object's angular momentum will change due to the applied torque, which is the force that causes rotation.

2. How does the height of the fall affect the torque and angular momentum?

The height of the fall does not directly affect the torque or angular momentum. However, the height can affect other factors such as the object's initial velocity and the amount of time it takes to fall, which can in turn impact the torque and angular momentum.

3. Is there a relationship between the object's shape and its angular momentum during a fall?

Yes, the object's shape can impact its moment of inertia, which is a key component in calculating angular momentum. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will have a greater resistance to changes in angular momentum.

4. How does the direction of the applied torque affect the object's angular momentum after a fall?

The direction of the torque will determine the direction of the change in angular momentum. If the torque is applied in the same direction as the object's angular velocity, the angular momentum will increase. If the torque is applied in the opposite direction, the angular momentum will decrease.

5. Can the conservation of angular momentum be applied to a fall?

Yes, the conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. In the case of a fall, the total angular momentum of the object will remain constant unless an external torque, such as air resistance, is applied.