Eating for two and gestational diabetes

• Medical
  • Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diabetes
In summary, Gestational diabetes is a condition that occurs in some pregnant women who consume too many calories. The article says she should only be consuming an extra 100-300 calories a day, and advises against overeating during pregnancy. Women usually lose weight in their first few months of pregnancy, and if they start to gain weight back, it's not a concern.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So I have this friend who's been "eating for two" since the day she found out she was pregnant, but I came across a news story that suggests this could be a bad idea.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/23/science/la-sci-pregnancy23-2010feb23

This is the first time I have heard of "gestational diabetes".

The article says she should only be consuming an extra 100-300 calories a day. Maybe I should send her this and tell her to slow down on the chow. Or is it something she only has to worry about if she has other risk factors for diabetes?

Biology news on Phys.org
Purely from personal experience, from some time ago,and in another country, I found most information from books and obstetricians, etc., highlighted concern that not too much weight was gained during pregnancy. I was regularly weighed and gentle exercise (not getting the heart-rate too high), like walking and swimming, was encouraged. Also, considering the usual nausea of the first trimester, it can be difficult to gain much weight. Congrats for your friend.

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
So I have this friend who's been "eating for two" since the day she found out she was pregnant, but I came across a news story that suggests this could be a bad idea.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/23/science/la-sci-pregnancy23-2010feb23

This is the first time I have heard of "gestational diabetes".

The article says she should only be consuming an extra 100-300 calories a day. Maybe I should send her this and tell her to slow down on the chow. Or is it something she only has to worry about if she has other risk factors for diabetes?
The funniest thing I read when I was pregnant was "yes. you're eating for two, but remember, one of you is the size of a ping pong ball".

Evo said:
The funniest thing I read when I was pregnant was "yes. you're eating for two, but remember, one of you is the size of a ping pong ball".

LOL! That's a good line.

And, yes, a lot of women overeat during pregnancy, and gain more weight than is healthy. The additional amount of food needed, particularly during early pregnancy, is about the equivalent of a half sandwich a day.

Gaining too much weight during pregnancy isn't just unhealthy for the mom in terms of gestational diabetes, but can also lead to higher birth weight babies that are also at higher risk for long term issues, like developing diabetes themselves.

The most important thing to keep in mind is not volume of food, but nutritional quality of the food. Make sure you're getting a balanced diet while pregnant, and definitely take the prenatal vitamins to ensure you're getting adequate folic acid, which is important for neurological development of the fetus. Though, even on that, be careful and consult an obstetrician on the right amounts of folic acid to take too. Too much can potentially be harmful as well, and the doses generally start out lower and step up as the fetus grows.

Oh, and many women actually lose some weight in their first few months of pregnancy. This is also normal and as long as they start to catch up later, nothing to worry about. Obstetricians will monitor weight gain or loss and let you know if you're losing too much or if it's a concern.

I would advise your friend to be cautious about the idea of "eating for two" during pregnancy. While it may seem like a natural instinct to increase food intake during pregnancy, it is important to remember that the body does not actually need significantly more calories until the later stages of pregnancy. Consuming excessive calories can lead to weight gain and potential health complications, such as gestational diabetes.

Gestational diabetes is a type of diabetes that develops during pregnancy and can cause high blood sugar levels. It is important for pregnant women to monitor their blood sugar levels and follow a healthy diet to manage this condition. In some cases, women may have other risk factors for diabetes, such as a family history or being overweight, which can increase their chances of developing gestational diabetes.

I would recommend that your friend consult with her healthcare provider to determine the appropriate amount of calories and nutrients she needs during her pregnancy. It is also important for her to maintain a balanced and healthy diet to support her own health and the development of her baby. Sending her the article and discussing it with her may also be helpful in promoting healthy eating habits during pregnancy. Overall, it is important for pregnant women to be mindful of their food intake and to follow the recommendations of their healthcare provider to ensure a healthy pregnancy.

What is gestational diabetes?

Gestational diabetes is a type of diabetes that develops during pregnancy. It is caused by hormonal changes that affect how the body uses insulin, resulting in high blood sugar levels. It typically develops in the second or third trimester and can increase the risk of complications for both the mother and baby.

What are the risks of developing gestational diabetes?

The risks of developing gestational diabetes include a higher chance of needing a cesarean delivery, preterm birth, preeclampsia, and developing type 2 diabetes later in life. It can also lead to complications for the baby, such as macrosomia (a larger than average baby) and low blood sugar levels after birth.

What are the symptoms of gestational diabetes?

Gestational diabetes often does not have any noticeable symptoms. However, some women may experience increased thirst and urination, fatigue, and blurred vision. It is important to attend regular prenatal check-ups and screenings to detect and manage gestational diabetes.

Can you prevent gestational diabetes?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent gestational diabetes, maintaining a healthy lifestyle before and during pregnancy can reduce the risk. This includes eating a balanced diet, staying physically active, and maintaining a healthy weight. It is also essential to attend regular prenatal check-ups and screenings to monitor for gestational diabetes.

How should a woman with gestational diabetes eat for two?

A woman with gestational diabetes should follow a balanced and nutritious diet to ensure the health of both herself and her baby. This includes eating a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. It is also important to monitor carbohydrate intake and spread it evenly throughout the day. A registered dietitian can provide personalized guidance on meal planning for gestational diabetes.