Finding Ebook Readers for Djvu Files in Argentina

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
In summary, the original poster is from Argentina and is unable to purchase Ebook readers due to corruption. They are planning to travel to Canada and are interested in Ebooks readers that can handle the djvu file format, as they have many books in this format. They are specifically looking for a reader with good quality for viewing equations and text, and are open to cheaper recommendations. Some suggestions include getting an iPad or a tablet with an Android 2.0 operating system and searching for a djvu reader app. The iPad is not the best device for reading, but it may be the only option for reading djvu files. Other suggestions include the Pixel-Qi and eInk screens. The Kindle 3 can read PDFs but not DJ
fluidistic
Gold Member
Hi,
I live in Argentina - ~800 km away from not Buenos Aires - and in mi city there's no Ebook readers on sale. I can't buy via internet either due to corruption (customers would either ask me to pay a 200% tax or steal it and keep it for them/sell them half price to their friends. Both cases happened to me and other people I know.).
I'm planning to make a short trip to Canada in a few days and I'm interested in Ebooks readers. I've lots of books/documents in my computer under the djvu format and some in PDF. I prefer by far the djvu files since a 165 Mb PDF corresponds approximately to a 5 Mb djvu file and the quality is the same for my eyes. I was wondering if all or most ebooks readers can handle the djvu format. What is your experience with this?
I'm a physics students so I need to be able to see well equations and of course text. Do you have any (cheaper is better) recommendation for that purpose?
Thanks in advance.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't think either Kindle nor Nook support djvu. You must convert to PDF.

Maybe get an Ipad (which could be used as a reader,) and search the App Store for a djvu reader.EDIT: I just want to add that the Ipad is not the best device for reading due to its not very comfortable screen. But when it comes to reading djvu books, maybe an Ipad is your only option)

Last edited:
Are you sure Kindle does not allow PDF & DJVU? The following link says Kindle does allow it.

http:/ /wiki.mo biler ead.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

Link is split up for non-spam purposes. Delete the spaces.

It does not say that djvu file format is supprted on the Amazon website for any type of Kindle.

Here is a Wiki article on comparison of different types of ebook readers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_readers" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried both the kindle (non-DX) and the iPad over longer period of time. I had no problem reading on either of them, the kindle was slightly more pleasant on the eye, but I got very used to the iPad. The major problem with the kindle is that the screen is way to small to properly read any sort of pdf (at least if it contains graphics). I quite enjoyed reading on the iPad, both because i could easily highlight text, read with it lying on my side in bed and effortlessly zoom around (this is a pain on the kindle, its slow). I don't think you would be disappointing with an iPad, and i would personally without doubt choose it over the kindle, except if you are exclusively planning on reading files provided by the kindle store (though i cannot speak for the kindle-DX). The only thing with djvu files is that i found no good reader (apparently there are ones for the iphone, but no good ones for the ipad yet (will probably come though). Stanza will read djvu files, but it is incredibly slow, i tried opening a 40mb file, after 10min i had to give up, still hadn't opened (didn't get around to trying any smaller files). In the end i had to convert the djvu files to pdf and transfer them.

Hi I have the same problem, a lot of djvu files stored and after 8hours work on PC, don't want to read them on my personal one. I want to buy a device on which I can easly read and my eyes will be alright. Also, does anybody knows which monitor is the best in the category 'reading without eye strain', I fill that I need to replace mine.

Pixel-Qi screens are the best now, I think.
Features:
1) Can work in both reader mode, and LCD mode. (So you can use it for reading, and when you want you can have a full color screen for regular use.)

2) Usable under sunlight, you can go to the park at 1PM and read with no problems at all. (I didn't try it to be honest, but there are video proving that.)

3) They use 80% less power than regular LCD screens. (But I think that is under a certain mode.)

There are also the eInk screens. AFAIK they are not readable under sunlight, and they don't have LCD mode (no full color.)

I have a Kindle 3, and it can read PDFs. However it is less than ideal, since you have zoom in/out of the page and you can't increase text size or use flowable text, however it is readable.

However the kindle does not support DJVU files, it doesn't open them. I've found the best way is to convert them to PDF. The kindle 3 has about 3GB of storage space so it might be OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
ebel said:
I have a Kindle 3, and it can read PDFs. However it is less than ideal, since you have zoom in/out of the page and you can't increase text size or use flowable text, however it is readable.

However the kindle does not support DJVU files, it doesn't open them. I've found the best way is to convert them to PDF. The kindle 3 has about 3GB of storage space so it might be OK.

What possessed you to resurrect a thread that had not been replied to for 4 months? Has the Kindle 3 just been released?

Dickfore said:
What possessed you to resurrect a thread that had not been replied to for 4 months? Has the Kindle 3 just been released?

Because it's in the top 10 results on Google for 'djvu kindle' and I thought I could provide helpful information for future people who stumble upon this thread while searching for how to read DejaVu files on their Kindle.

Forgot to include a link to how to convert the djvu to pdf for kindle

For Sony Reader there is pdf to lrf converter called pdflrfwin. It also converts djvu files into native lrf format of Sony.

tucky said:
I don't think either Kindle nor Nook support djvu. You must convert to PDF.
Is this still true?

You can get which ever you reader you like. If it doesn't support djvu (or some other format) you can convert them with Calibre - http://calibre-ebook.com/

onyx boox 60 / 60s does have native support for djvu i haven't tested m90 but i hear that it has the same firmware so it should also work.

1. What is the most popular e-reader for Djvu files in Argentina?

The most popular e-reader for Djvu files in Argentina is the Amazon Kindle. It is widely available and supports Djvu files through a third-party app called Djvu Viewer. Other popular e-readers in Argentina such as Kobo and Nook do not have native support for Djvu files, but they can also be used to read them with the help of third-party apps.

2. Is there a way to convert Djvu files to a more widely supported format for e-readers in Argentina?

Yes, there are several online and offline converters available that can convert Djvu files to more widely supported formats such as PDF or EPUB. Some popular options include Calibre, Zamzar, and Convertio. Keep in mind that the conversion process may result in some loss of quality and formatting, so it is best to test the converted file on your e-reader before committing to the conversion.

3. Can I purchase Djvu files from online stores in Argentina?

Yes, there are several online stores in Argentina that offer Djvu files for purchase, including MercadoLibre, BajaLibros, and Gandhi. You can also find free Djvu files on websites such as Project Gutenberg and Open Library. However, it is important to note that not all e-readers support the purchase and/or download of Djvu files, so make sure to check the compatibility of your e-reader before making a purchase.

4. Are there any open-source e-readers that support Djvu files in Argentina?

Yes, there are a few open-source e-readers that support Djvu files in Argentina, such as FBReader and Cool Reader. These e-readers can be downloaded for free and offer native support for Djvu files, making them a great option for those who prefer open-source software.

5. Can I read Djvu files on my smartphone or tablet in Argentina?

Yes, there are several e-reader apps available for smartphones and tablets in Argentina that support Djvu files. Some popular options include FBReader, Aldiko, and Moon+ Reader. These apps can be downloaded for free or for a small fee on the Google Play Store or Apple App Store. Keep in mind that the reading experience may vary depending on the screen size and resolution of your device.