1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Edit: sorry about the title, it was warped when I pressed Control + z

1. Oct 15, 2011 #1
    Edit: sorry about the title, it was warped when I pressed Control + z a few times. This is a question about monomials.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How do I simplify (2n)4 + 2n4?

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem I'm having is with the parenthesis. So really I just want to simplify (2n)4.

Would it be 2n4 or 16n4? The first one seems more intuitive, but I have no idea what it should be.

I'd really appreciate some help. This is the only part of math that I find unattractive.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Monomials

For any a, a^4 means a*a*a*a, so (2n)^4 means 2n * 2n * 2n * 2n = 16n^4. Never mind your "intuition" about what you think symbols _should_ mean. They have conventional meanings that are hundreds of years old.

RGV

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook