Edit window suddenly renders LaTex, so can't edit the eqn.

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with the LaTex rendering in the edit window of a forum thread. The solution suggested is to toggle the BB code, but this can result in the deletion of all LaTex notation. The participants apologize for not warning about this possibility and discuss their preference for typing in BB code.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
In composing a reply to the thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-of-a-continued-fraction.993857/#post-6395923 I find that the edit window has begun rendering LaTex within the edit window itself, so I can't edit any of the mathematical expressions. How can I return to the normal mode of editing?
untitled1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I too have encountered that premature rendering behavior ##-## like you, I don't want the ##\LaTeX## rendered, other than in Preview, until I've decided that I want to post what I've written ##-## I've circumvented this problem by clicking the 'Toggle BB code' cogwheel icon, which produces display of the non-rendered LaTeX code, [edit: this technique may remove the LaTeX code, leaving only the unadorned text of the expressions] wheupon I then select and copy, then paste it back in, and I can then edit it again . . .

Last edited:
Before reading your post, I tried toggling BB code. The edit window quit rendering LaTex but it also deleted all the LaTex notation. So I must re-type all the LaTex. Now I'm scared of toggling BB code!

Stephen Tashi said:
Before reading your post, I tried toggling BB code. The edit window quit rendering LaTex but it also deleted all the LaTex notation. So I must re-type all the LaTex. Now I'm scared of toggling BB code!
Holy X, I'm sorry, I've encountered that too, and I failed to warn you of it ##-## again I apologize ##-## I acknowledge that I consider not warning you of that to be a full effup on my part , , ,

Don't worry. I tried it on my own initiative - before you suggested it.

Stephen Tashi said:
Don't worry. I tried it on my own initiative - before you suggested it.
I get that, and I thank you for your graciously giving me a pass; I still think that I should have remembered and warned of that possibility before suggesting the tactic ##-## sorry and thanks, Sir.

sysprog said:
I acknowledge [...] , , ,
That you used the coma comma key in an attempt to form an ellipsis. . . . :-p . :DD
Lol, , , .j/k. . :wink:

One of the reasons to disable that feature by default. I type in the BB code and the formulas and nothing gets parsed outside the preview window.

mfb said:
One of the reasons to disable that feature by default. I type in the BB code and the formulas and nothing gets parsed outside the preview window.

I also type inn BB code, but nevertheless I have also been hit by this bug.

1. What is the "Edit window" in this context?

The "Edit window" refers to the section of a document or program where users can make changes or edits to the text or equations.

2. Why does the edit window suddenly render LaTex?

This may be due to a coding error or a software malfunction. LaTex is a typesetting language commonly used for mathematical equations, so it may be the default rendering format for the edit window.

3. Can I still edit the equations if the edit window is rendering LaTex?

No, if the edit window is only rendering LaTex, you will not be able to make any changes or edits to the equations. You may need to troubleshoot the issue or find an alternative method for editing the equations.

4. How can I fix this issue?

First, try refreshing the page or restarting the program. If that doesn't work, check for any updates or try using a different device or browser. If the issue persists, you may need to seek technical support or consult online forums for troubleshooting tips.

5. Is there a way to prevent the edit window from suddenly rendering LaTex?

It is difficult to say for sure without knowing the specific cause of the issue. However, you can try to avoid any potential coding errors or regularly update your software to prevent any malfunctions. Additionally, it may be helpful to save your work frequently in case of any unexpected changes to the edit window.