EE - Find Unknown Branch Current by Solving Simultaneous Equations

In summary: Equations for an example of how this might look. In summary, you can solve for three node voltages by using the KCL equations and the V-I relationship of each component.
DaveBoman
Homework Statement
Find branch current by assigning direction arbitrarily and then assigning resistor polarity accordingly. Use KVL around loops and then KCL at nodes to get equations. Solve equations for unknown currents.
Relevant Equations
see picture
HW.jpg
2.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I am at a complete loss on this problem. I have gotten the loop equations and I have gotten the KCL equations. I have tried to write all of this out thoroughly. I am at a loss as to what to do here.

I have 7 equations and 6 unknowns. The unknowns are I1, I2, I3, I4, IL, and IT, correct?
How can I plug in the KCL equations into the loop equations to get 3 equations and 3 unknowns?

Welcome to PF. :smile:

DaveBoman said:
I have 7 equations and 6 unknowns. The unknowns are I1, I2, I3, I4, IL, and IT, correct?
How can I plug in the KCL equations into the loop equations to get 3 equations and 3 unknowns?
I have 3 KCL equations to solve for the 3 node voltages. That is all you need to determine the currents, no?

The KCL equations are linked to the KVL equations by the V-I relationship of each component. So, you actually can create an equation for each component (Like V1 = I1⋅R1), and equation for each node (KCL), and an equation for each loop (KVL). You will have variables for the voltage and current of each component. Of course, as you have seen, you will have way more equations than unknowns. That's OK, use the ones you like, to arrive at a solution for simultaneous linear equations. I will often start by eliminating all of the voltages (in terms of currents), or vice-versa.

You might try it first with a simpler version? In any case if you don't show us what you've done it's hard to help.

DaveBoman said:
I am at a complete loss on this problem. I have gotten the loop equations and I have gotten the KCL equations. I have tried to write all of this out thoroughly. I am at a loss as to what to do here.
Don't let indecision paralyze you. Sometimes you just need to try something, and you'll see a path forward.

DaveBoman said:
Note that the KCL equations aren't independent. The KVL equations and any three of the KCL equations will leave you a system of six equations and six unknowns.

If you want to get down to three equations and three unknowns, just choose three currents to keep in the loop equations. Use the KCL equations to express the other currents in terms of the chosen three.

Likes PhDeezNutz
See [typical]

Attachments

• Kirchoff Circuit 1 KVL.jpg
    Kirchoff Circuit 1 KVL.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 80
Wrong KVL

Attachments

• Kirchoff Circuit 1 KVL.jpg
    Kirchoff Circuit 1 KVL.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 77

1. How do you solve for unknown branch currents using simultaneous equations?

To solve for unknown branch currents using simultaneous equations, you need to first identify all the known and unknown variables in the circuit. Then, you can use Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Ohm's Law to set up a system of equations. Finally, you can solve the equations simultaneously to determine the unknown branch currents.

2. What is Kirchhoff's Current Law and how is it used in solving simultaneous equations?

Kirchhoff's Current Law states that the sum of all currents entering and exiting a node in a circuit must equal zero. This law is used in solving simultaneous equations by setting up a system of equations based on the known and unknown currents at each node in the circuit.

3. What is Ohm's Law and how is it applied in solving simultaneous equations?

Ohm's Law states that the voltage across a resistor is equal to the product of the current flowing through it and its resistance. In solving simultaneous equations, Ohm's Law is used to relate the voltage and current at each resistor in the circuit, which can then be used to set up equations for solving.

4. Are there any limitations to using simultaneous equations to solve for unknown branch currents?

Yes, there are some limitations to using simultaneous equations in solving for unknown branch currents. This method can only be used for circuits that can be represented as a system of linear equations, and it may become more complex for circuits with a large number of nodes and branches.

5. Can software or calculators be used to solve for unknown branch currents using simultaneous equations?

Yes, there are software programs and calculators that can be used to solve for unknown branch currents using simultaneous equations. These tools can help to simplify the process and reduce the potential for errors in calculations.