1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EE intro question regarding Voltage and Amps

1. Oct 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://rsteiger.is-a-geek.com:81/homework%20question.jpg [Broken]

The question for me is merely conceptual. I'm really good at math (not that a lot would be required here) but I don't even know where to start, hence the lack of an attempt. I'm not looking for the answer (I already know what it is) I'm just looking for a pointer on how the problem should be solved. Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Write the KCL equations for the middle node and the right side node. That's generally how you approach this type of problem.

Welcome to the PF, BTW.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Oct 8, 2009 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

KVL might be useful here too.

5. Oct 9, 2009 #4
    KVL gives the answer immediately. Look at the Left hand side loop going through the 30V supply and including V_0

My general approach is to look for the unknown, find nodes nearby and apply KCL. If that seems too difficult then try KVL (which in this case is the neater solution).

6. Oct 11, 2009 #5
    Cool, thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook