Question regarding voltage, current and resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an object having no resistance and the implications on current flow and voltage. It is determined that while current can theoretically flow infinitely fast, certain materials called superconductors have zero resistance when cooled. The relationship between voltage and resistance is compared to work and friction.
Aichuk
It's impossible for an object to have no resistance but I was wondering if theoretically such a thing was possible, shouldn't the current flow infinitely fast? But instead, no current exists at all (V=I*0=0). And if the current remains the same, how come the voltage increases as I increase resistance? I'm sorry for the stupid questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Current is always limited to the speed of light.

In your equation (V=IR), V = 0 when R = 0, but I can be any number. Certain materials, called superconductors, have zero resistance as long as they remain sufficiently cooled. Think of voltage as work, and resistance as friction. If you push a box across the cement, you have to continuously push and do work on it because of the friction. The more friction there is, the more work you have to do to maintain the same speed. A box on a frictionless surface will continue to move at the same speed it started at without any work at all (assuming no air resistance). This is similar to the zero resistance, zero voltage scenario.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between voltage, current, and resistance?

Voltage is the measure of electrical potential energy between two points. Current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. Resistance is the opposition to the flow of current in a material.

2. How are voltage, current, and resistance related?

According to Ohm's Law, voltage is equal to current multiplied by resistance. This means that as resistance increases, the current will decrease for a given voltage.

3. What are the units of measurement for voltage, current, and resistance?

Voltage is measured in volts (V), current is measured in amperes (A), and resistance is measured in ohms (Ω).

4. How does voltage affect current and resistance?

Higher voltage will result in a higher current, as long as the resistance remains the same. On the other hand, an increase in resistance will cause a decrease in current for a given voltage.

5. Can the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance be manipulated?

Yes, the relationship can be manipulated by changing any one of these variables. For example, increasing the voltage will result in a higher current, while decreasing the resistance will also result in a higher current for a given voltage.