EE Major - what math should I focus on?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's change in major from computer science to electrical engineering and their newfound love for math after taking calculus III and linear algebra. They also mention taking a circuit design class and becoming fascinated with math, leading them to self-study various courses. They ask for recommendations on which courses to focus on and receive suggestions such as complex analysis, linear algebra, and probability. The conversation also touches on the importance of linear algebra and vector calculus in EE and the recommendation of a DSP self-study book.
FrogPad
I just changed my major to EE (actually last semester). I was previously a comp sci major. While in CS I took calc I, II, discrete math, then calc III and linear algebra. I hated math when I took up to discrete math. I always just wanted to solve the problems on the computer. It wasn't until calc III and linear algebra that I actually started to like math. I then took a circuit design class and was like... screw computer science (algorithms were boring the hell out of me), I'm changing my major.

So anyways, I changed majors. I then took differential equation and became facinated with math. Someone recommended Godel, Escher, and Bach... and from there I really started to enjoy (the first time ever) going to math classes. I just took a PDE course and we used Strangs applied math book, again it upped my facination with mathematics.

Anyways... long story short. I am basically done (as an undergraduate) with my math requirements. I'm sure there will be some "new" math in my up and coming engineering courses, but as far as courses that are "MAT XXX", I am done. I do NOT want this to be the case, so I plan on self studying various courses. My question is this: Which courses should I self study?

I kind of screwed around in Linear Algebra, so I was thinking of self studying this over the summer. MIT has video lectures, I REALLY like Strang's writing style, so I was thinking of picking up his book and then watching the lectures.

In your opinion, which math should I choose to focus on? I really enjoyed the little bit of PDE work I did, especially the wave equation. Also, I have NOT narrowed my EE focus down yet. I'm not sure what I am going to do. Next year I will be going to various seminars to check out the different paths I can take. So I'm sure this will somewhat change the answers given. Anyways, I'll leave it at that.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks for reading all that :)

Physics news on Phys.org
FrogPad said:
My question is this: Which courses should I self study?

Which school are you attending?

In ours, we had "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" spread out into 3 semesters. It was a great course. It included all the things we needed for our EE classes. (including LaPlace and Fourier Analysis, Complex Analysis, 1st & 2nd Order DiffEq., Partial DiffEq, Vector Calc, Matrix Manipulations, etc..)

Last edited:
I didnt see you mention complex analysis, which would be extremely useful. I am quite surprised that its not compulsory.

Ouabache:
I go to Arizona State University. The "advanced" math class I took was vector calc, Fourier series, laplace, heat, and wave equations. That 3 semester class you took sounds awesome by the way.

tmc:
It's quite likely it will be covered in one of the engineering courses.

So the recommendation thus far is complex analysis? Any recommeded books?

FrogPad said:
Ouabache:
So the recommendation thus far is complex analysis? Any recommeded books?

ADCANCE ENGINEERING MATH
by: J. Wiley

Learn linear algebra - the theoretical stuff. (Row, column, null) spaces, vector spaces, Hilbert spaces, Fourier series, Finite fields, Error Correcting Codes (i.e., Hamming codes), etc. It is _very_ important to EE, far more so than calculus or analysis.

After you're done with linear algebra, go for probability - probability density functions, bayesian analysis/inference, etc.

If you can master those two topics you will _rock_ at advanced EE (some areas)

Take a class in Complex Variables.

I've decided to study linear algebra again, and complex analysis. I found another post on recommendations for complex analysis, so I'm going to go check a few of those books out of my technical library. For linalg I'll just go through MIT's lectures and relearn that stuff... it should be a little bit easier, since I've been exposed to it already and did ok. But I was taking the class for a grade at the time, not to actually learn the material.

I apperciate everyone's help. Thanks.

what class ?

FrogPad said:
Ouabache:
I go to Arizona State University. The "advanced" math class I took was vector calc, Fourier series, laplace, heat, and wave equations. That 3 semester class you took sounds awesome by the way.

Okay I am reading the course description for your MAT362 (Adv Engr Math). at asu website. Looks like they tried to concentrate as much as they could in that one.. I believe our Adv Engr Math text was by Kreyszig.

I remember reading over the complex variables material again just before taking Signals and Systems. It made that class a lot easier to follow. If you haven't learned about Curl, Divergence and Gradients. That would be something to brush up on before taking your Electromagnetic Fields classes.

Mollet1955:
The class that I was referring to was linear algebra. It covered vector spaces, (row, column, null) space, eigenvalues, etc... I pretty much just memorized what I needed to for the test. Treated the class as an algorithm. ie) to solve question N, I run algorithm B. I don't remember much of it. So I will actually try to learn the material this summer.

Ouabache:
Before we jumped into Maxwell's equations in MAT362 we backtracked into Calc III. We covered stokes' and the divergence theorem. Part of the discussion on these two theorems was curl, grad, and divergence in orthogonal coordinate systems. So I think I'm alright with that stuff. I'm actually relatively comfortable with vector calculus.

Is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471504599/?tag=pfamazon01-20the book?

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out this book FrogPad, I think you'll like it a lot. It's my main DSP self-study book:

Digital Signal Processing by Williams

(I'm not sure I have the title right -- it's at work where I use it often, and I'm home now)

berkeman:

Is this the same book that you recommended in another post on complex anslysis?

If it is, I went to my schools library today to get the book :)

Unfortunatly they did not have it on the shelf. The computer said it was out there, but I couldn't find it :(

I'm going to check back in a few days and see if they have it.

The book I am referring to is:
http://library.lib.asu.edu/search/t?SEARCH=Designing+Digital+Filters

is that the book?

I ended up picking up a book called:
"Fundementals of Complex Analysis for Mathematics, Science, and Engineering" by E.B. Saff and A.D. Snider. Seems like a good book from the first chapter I read. It has been gentle on the reader thus far.

Yeah, that's the right one. I really enjoyed it.

Cool. I'll check it out as soon as it reappears on the shelf :)

FrogPad said:
Is this the book?
Actually, this is the one I was referring to. (I see they also have it in paperback)

Last edited:

1. What math courses are required for an EE major?

Typically, EE majors are required to take courses in calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and probability and statistics. Some programs may also have additional math requirements such as discrete mathematics or complex analysis.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to succeed in an EE major?

While a strong background in math can certainly be helpful, it is not a requirement for success in an EE major. However, many concepts in EE courses are based on mathematical principles, so it is important to have a solid understanding of the required math courses.

3. How important is calculus in an EE major?

Calculus is a fundamental math subject that is used extensively in EE courses. It is important for understanding topics such as circuit analysis, electromagnetics, and control systems. Strong calculus skills are essential for success in an EE major.

4. Can I take math courses after starting an EE major?

Yes, it is possible to take math courses after starting an EE major. However, it is important to consult with your academic advisor to ensure that the courses you plan to take fulfill the math requirements for your major and do not conflict with your other coursework.

5. Are there any math courses that are particularly helpful for an EE major?

In addition to the required math courses, courses in numerical analysis, differential equations with engineering applications, and mathematical methods for engineers can be particularly helpful for EE majors. These courses focus on applying mathematical principles to solve engineering problems.