Effective neutron multiplication factor

In summary, the effective neutron multiplication factor, or k_eff, is a measure of the number of neutrons produced in a nuclear chain reaction compared to the number of neutrons lost or absorbed. It is important to keep k_eff equal to 1 in order to maintain a critical chain reaction. This can be seen in the formula k_eff = 2/(1+1), where 2 neutrons are produced, one is absorbed, and one is lost in the system. It is also important to note that there are three types of chain reactions: under critical, critical, and over critical.
Physicsissuef
Can somebody please explain effective neutron multiplication factor, with example? So when k=1, k>1, k<1 , please give me some example.

[tex]k=\frac{N_2}{N_1}=\frac{N_3}{N_2}=...=\frac{N_i}{N_i_-_1}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
malawi, somebody helppp please?

but hey you asked just 4h ago! Remember that the majority of PF-users are from the states and they sleeping at the moment..

Also, again, if this is course work post at approriate subforum. Otherwise, why is this (and other questions that you ask here) urgent??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_chain_reaction

I read that but still can't understand what does it mean to keep constant the neutrons number. Please give me any example.

Physicsissuef said:
I read that but still can't understand what does it mean to keep constant the neutrons number. Please give me any example.

I don't understand what you don't understand, please clarify.

Why is it so hard to understand that in order to retain a ciritical chain reaction, k must be equal to 1.

Why should I construct an example for you if you can't even answer my questions:

"Also, again, if this is course work post at approriate subforum. Otherwise, why is this (and other questions that you ask here) urgent??"

So in the first generation must be there 1 neutron, and in the second generation must have 1 neutron.

[tex]\frac{1}{1}=\frac{2}{2}=\frac{3}{3}=\frac{4}{4}...[/tex], like this?

But as I know chain reaction goes with 1 neutron, then 3 neutrons, 9, 27...

yes an over-critical chain reaction does that, but an exactly critical has k=1

In my book have same picture like this, and it says, this is http://media.wiley.com/assets/83/12/fg0-7645-5430-1_0503.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, but they have not specidied what KIND of chain reaction it is..

there exists 3kinds of chain reactions:
under critical, cirical & over critical

Last edited by a moderator:
or maybe [tex]\frac{1}{1+0}[/tex]? Probably "neutron production from fission in one generation" means the neutron which is not absorbed nor lost to the system, right?

its 2/(1+1)

2 neutrons are produced, one is absorbed, one is lost in the system.

In the preceding one is lost...

What is the effective neutron multiplication factor?

The effective neutron multiplication factor, also known as k-effective or k-eff, is a measure of the number of neutrons produced in a nuclear reactor per neutron absorbed by the fuel. It is a crucial parameter in determining the stability and efficiency of a nuclear reaction.

How is the effective neutron multiplication factor calculated?

The effective neutron multiplication factor is calculated by comparing the number of neutrons produced in a given time interval to the number of neutrons absorbed in the same time interval. This calculation takes into account factors such as the neutron flux, the cross sections of the fuel materials, and the geometry of the reactor.

What is the significance of the effective neutron multiplication factor in nuclear reactors?

The effective neutron multiplication factor is a key factor in determining the criticality of a nuclear reactor. If the value of k-effective is greater than 1, the reactor is considered to be critical and the nuclear chain reaction will sustain itself. If the value is less than 1, the reactor is subcritical and the reaction will eventually die out. Maintaining a k-effective value close to 1 is important for safe and efficient operation of a nuclear reactor.

How does the effective neutron multiplication factor affect reactor control?

The effective neutron multiplication factor can be used to control the power output of a nuclear reactor. By adjusting the amount of neutron-absorbing control rods in the reactor, the value of k-effective can be changed. This allows operators to increase or decrease the number of neutrons produced, which in turn affects the power output of the reactor.

How does the effective neutron multiplication factor differ between different types of reactors?

The value of the effective neutron multiplication factor can vary depending on the type of reactor and the nuclear fuel being used. For example, a fast breeder reactor may have a higher value of k-effective compared to a light water reactor, due to the use of different fuel and the presence of a neutron moderator. The specific design and operation of a reactor will also affect its k-effective value.