Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigen values and cubic roots question

1. Dec 2, 2009 #1
    So I found the characteristic equation of a matrix, and I know the roots of the equation are supposed to be the eigenvalues. However, my equation is:

[tex]\lambda^3-2\lambda^2[/tex]

I have double checked different row expansions to make sure this answer is correct. So don't worry about how I came to get that equation.
    I'm just not sure how to get roots from this. Would it be:

[tex]\lambda^2(\lambda-2)[/tex]

So that the roots are 0 and 2?

Basically I have trouble with cubic roots, I guess this is less of a question about eigenvalues than it is about cubic roots.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are right about your example (note 0 is a double root).
    In general cubic equations are no fun. Your options are:
    1. Factor, like you did above
    2. Guess an answer [itex]\lambda_0[/itex], then divide out [itex](\lambda-\lambda_0)[/itex] and solve the resulting quadratic equation. This works well in constructed problems where you can easily see that a value like 0, 1, -1, 2 or -2 satisfies the equation.
    3. Use the analog of the quadratic formula ([itex](-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac})/2a[/itex]) for cubic equations. However it is messy, and unlike the quadratic formula hardy anyone knows it by heart.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook