Eigenfunctions versus wavefunctions

In summary, an eigenfunction is the \psi in the relationship A\psi = a\psi. The \psi can be either a wave function or can represent the state of a system, i.e. \psi can be a "ket", which is a quantity (a generalized vector) which represents the system. A wavefunction, in general, can be either an eigenfunction/eigenket or a linear sum of eigenfunctions/eigenkets.
resurgance2001
Hi - hope that someone can help me with this.

I am new to quantum mechanics - trying to answer a question about eigenfunctions and don't have a decent textbook at the moment.

Can someone tell me please, what is the difference between a wavefunction and an eigenfunction for a particle in an infinite square well?

Cheers

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
resurgance2001 said:
Hi - hope that someone can help me with this.

I am new to quantum mechanics - trying to answer a question about eigenfunctions and don't have a decent textbook at the moment.

Can someone tell me please, what is the difference between a wavefunction and an eigenfunction for a particle in an infinite square well?

Cheers

Peter
An eigen function is the [tex]\psi[/tex] in the relationship A[tex]\psi[/tex] = a[tex]\psi[/tex]. the [tex]\psi[/tex] can be either a wave function or can represent the state of a system, i.e. [tex]\psi[/tex] can be a "ket", which is a quantity (a generalized vector) which represents the system. A wavefunction, in general, can be either an eigenfunction/eigenket or a linear sum of eigenfunctions/eigenkets.

Pete

There is a particular subset of wavefunctions known as "eigenfunctions" of an observable A, they are defined as those satisfying, for some scalar a,

[tex]\hat{A}\psi(x)=\alpha \psi(x)[/tex]

(This is linear algebra actually.)

As you may know, the eigenvalues which one customarily computes in connection with the infinite square-well are energy eigenvalues: E0, E1, E2, ...

Corresponding to each of these energy eigenvalues is a wavefunction φ0(x),
φ1(x), φ2(x), ...

These particular wavefunctions, φn(x), are said to be the energy eigenfunctions associated with the infinite square-well. Thus, for example, a particle in the state φn(x) will have energy En.

But the state of a particle in the well doesn't have to be just a particular one of these φn(x). The state could be any normalized complex-valued function ψ(x) whose value is zero for x outside of the well. Such a ψ(x) is said to be a wavefunction for a particle in an infinite square-well.

Thus, every energy eigenfunction is a wavefunction, but not every wavefunction is an energy eigenfunction.

Nevertheless, it turns out that any such wavefunction ψ(x) can be written as a superposition of the eigenfunctions φn(x). That is, we can write

ψ(x) = ∑nanφn(x) ,

for some complex coefficients an, where

n|an|2 = 1 .

That's a good, thorough post, Eye_in_the_Sky. However, I would prefer to start my energy eigenvalues from E1 and energy eigenfunctions from φ1(x), because we are dealing with a particle in an infinite square well.

Yes, masudr, I see what you mean. Starting with n=1 (instead of n=0) makes the actual expressions for En and φn(x) somewhat easier on the eye, since in that case only an "n" (instead of an "n+1") will appear.

1. What is the difference between eigenfunctions and wavefunctions?

Both eigenfunctions and wavefunctions are mathematical descriptions used in quantum mechanics to represent the state of a physical system. However, eigenfunctions are a type of wavefunction that satisfy a specific mathematical property known as being "eigenstates" of a particular operator, while wavefunctions can have a broader definition and can represent any state of a system.

2. How are eigenfunctions and wavefunctions related?

Eigenfunctions are a subset of wavefunctions, meaning that all eigenfunctions are wavefunctions, but not all wavefunctions are eigenfunctions. Additionally, eigenfunctions can be used to describe the state of a system, while wavefunctions can also be used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular state.

3. Can eigenfunctions and wavefunctions be used interchangeably?

No, they cannot. While eigenfunctions are a type of wavefunction, they have a specific mathematical property that sets them apart from other wavefunctions. Using them interchangeably can lead to incorrect calculations and interpretations of quantum systems.

4. Are eigenfunctions and wavefunctions observable?

No, neither eigenfunctions nor wavefunctions are observable quantities in quantum mechanics. Instead, they are mathematical representations used to describe the state and behavior of a physical system.

5. Why are eigenfunctions important in quantum mechanics?

Eigenfunctions play a crucial role in quantum mechanics because they represent the possible states of a physical system. They also have important applications in solving the Schrödinger equation and calculating the energy levels of a system, making them essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems.